Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrows on Path

Default Arrows on Path

Hi. I was wondering how I could have multiple arrowheads with equidistant spacing along a path. Basically I have a semicircle, and I want arrowheads to follow along the semicircle. How can I accomplish this? I'm a total noob, so the more basic the explanation the more likely I will understand it .

Thanks!
    IP

Default Re: Arrows on Path

Hi, and welcome to the forum. The secret is the blend tool. See attachment.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrowheads tutorial.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	63177  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Thanks Bob. However, I have a problem using the blend tool between the two arrowheads - when I use it, the arrows come out deformed, though every other step works perfectly. This might be because I can't get the arrows to be directly across from one another (if so, how do you do that?), but otherwise is there something I'm missing here? Ty again.
    IP

This is curious! If you look at the attached, I drew a 30º arc for the green arrow blend, a 45º arc for the blue arrow blend and a 180º arc for the red arrow blend. I imagine you are getting a similar result to the red one.
    The green blend is fine, similar to my first post. The blue bend reduces the arrowheads in the middle of the blend. I used two 45º arcs to produce the orange blended result, but it's not perfect.
    To answer your question, to get the 2 arrows directly across, hold down the Ctrl Key when dragging with the mouse. In fact, If you right click and then Ctrl + Drag, you will get a message asking if you want to move or copy to the new position. This saves copying and pasting.
    Back to the original problem, perhaps blends aren't the secret after all. I'll carry on experimenting here, and I expect other members will contribute their ideas before too long.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	arcs.png 
Views:	235 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	63206  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Further experimentation doesn't do it in Corel, but it does work in Xara Xtreme.
    I would be inclined to visit www.xara.com and download a free time-limited fully functional trial of Xara Xtreme.
    Now I know it can be done, we can talk you through the process. A shallow learning curve in Xtreme, too and it's
    not expensive. I pretty much guarantee you'll prefer it to Corel.
    I'll still try and work out how it's done with Corel, though.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	arc blends 3.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	63225  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 07 July 2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: addendum
    IP

My method was to export an arrowhead I made up as a true type font from corel, simply installed it, typed out a few arrows, then applied the fit text to curve command, suppose you could make up all kinds of arrows that way, you can then also use all the relevant text movements using the shape tool.

My sample attached for you, including the font made. Arrow - use lowercase "a"

Hope this helps, just an idea.

Cheers - George
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Hi George, thanks for dropping by. I've installed the arrowhead font but I cannot get it to align to the semicircle properly.
    Also when selecting the Shape Tool, nothing seems to be "draggable" around the space handles to alter the position of the arrowheads.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	grab.png 
Views:	220 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	63237  
    IP

Hi There Bob,

Not the ideal solution must say, tried a bit more, one on a circle and another around an egg shape - have a look. Shows some promise though, don't you think?

Cheers - George

Name:	arrows1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	63242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrows2.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	63243  

IP

I don't see a red square no matter what I select the blend with. How are you doing this, George?
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	Neoshooter 1.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	63246  
    IP

I imported the arrowhead fonts, and whenever I attempt to fit text to path on my semicircle it keeps telling me the path isn't valid? In your Corel file, I don't see a red box either.

Oh and I downloaded Xara, looked up some tutorials and such and it seems even more confusing than Corel to me .

Since I don't need an extreme amount of graphics, I'm probably just going to end up doing the arrowheads manually, just attached what it looks like below. Kind of a pain, but it isn't too bad.

Thanks for the help guys

Name:	ResidueContour.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	63263  
    IP