Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arrows on Path

Default Re: Arrows on Path

Here is one way I had to end up doing it cause using a blend rotates the arrows for some reason. I haven't tried the text to path, but may do that later to see what I get since the Arrows are fonts (if they're not symbols instead). The Arrow is a perfect shape, snap to objects align center of arrow to line in direction needed, click again to get rotation handles, then move rotation center to center of curve. Hit plus sign on keyboard to duplicate in place (this also retains the triangles rotation handle to center and then type in the angle needed to rotate. I believe there is a macro available to fit objects to path from oberonplace.com but you said you did not need many objects and I see you have already given an example of what you needed. I just wanted to show my solution to this dilemma.

Chuck

BTW The angle I wanted to point out read 270, but is fuzzy due to converting to Jpg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrow_text2.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	63278  
    IP

Oh Well,

Maybe this will help a bit more, my idea of making your own arrow symbol is a customized one, but you can use an already made symbol font which comprises of quite a few arrows to choose from.

Take a look at my new sceenshot - Hope it's clear, tried to keep the size down.

Cheers - George

Name:	arrows_onpath1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	63282  
    IP

Coza, nice screen shots and tutorial, although I don't know why you had to duplicate the circle. I forgot about the kerning option with the shape tool. Does it kern in equal steps? You can also move the shapes from the property bar as well as any distance from the line.

If someone has an explanation for the rotation in the blend I sure would like to know why it does this, and how to correct it or avoid it. I did a blend last week on a straight path and it did the same thing. It was interesting that Xara was able to make the object to curve without the rotation, since I have Xara as well.

Chuck

BTW, Coza what screen capture did you use? For mine I used Print Screen button and pasted into Corel then exported to .jpg file type. I'm still learning all this computer stuff since I don't do it for a living.
    IP

Howdy TXchuck2u,

As far as I can see it does kern in equal steps, try it with any character with any font, you'll soon find out. There are quite few other commands that come about when you look at the tool bars available when the object is selected - mirror text vertically, horizontally, tick snapping and the ones you mention.

For screen capture tools I have a whole bag full of them, -

Realdaw V5 has one and I paid for Screen Shoot-it some years ago.

Free Alternatives are - MWSnap, TNT Screen Capture - this one really rocks, can do all kinds of tricks with it - free for private use, there is also a free Snagit 7.2.5 if it is still available, just do a search for any of them, I'm sure you'll run into them.

Before we go too far off topic, take care -

Cheers - George
    IP

An elegant and simple solution to the puzzle.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	arrows.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	63292  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Hi folks -
    Not meaning to throw another piece in the puzzle, but here's another example how to do it. It does NOT involve a path tho, and therefore you can only create a perfect semicircle (up to 180deg.).

1. Create a triangle (any shape). Duplicate it (Ctrl + D) on top and drag it straight across using Ctrl as constrain to axis key. ROTATE (I said rotate, see note below!!) the 2nd arrow by holding down Ctrl (to rotate in increments) and rotating exactly 180 deg. Or use the rotate command in the menu, that's just my personal shortcut.

2. Select both triangles, and in the Blend box (Effects --> Blend) type 180 in the "Rotate" box and TURN ON the "Loop" option.

3. Apply!

*Note: I found out that although FLIPPING and ROTATING (180 deg.) objects produces the same result, it's not the same. Don't ask me why! Only thing I can figure out is that, by definition, FLIPPING objects rotates the about the "X" axis, while ROTATING 'em rotates the 'round the "Z" axis, therefore not the same thing. Make sense?

Name:	rotationexample.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	63337  
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by TXchuck2u View Post
    BTW, Coza what screen capture did you use? For mine I used Print Screen button and pasted into Corel then exported to .jpg file type. I'm still learning all this computer stuff since I don't do it for a living.
    Chuck, I don't know what version of Corel you're using, but with most, if not ALL, CorelDraws is included "Corel Capture" (in my case, Corel Capture X4). I love it! Allows for freehand, window, etc. capture areas and multiple output options such as clipboard, file, printer, or your application choice. Also allows several color options and resolution options. I definitely recommend it!
    IP

Nice one Bob,

You've produced a piece of art as usual.

Stay Well -

George
    IP

Meltsner, thanks for the replies both times. I will try using your suggestion to learn it and yes, I do find Corel Capture as well. I have never used this and it is never talked about, even on any other Corel forums I visit. Good also to see others involved in this Corel forum.

ElDiago, has your art solution been accomplished?

chuckray
    IP