Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Replace with graphic does not export to pdf

Hi,
    Exporting website from a multipage XXP5 (.xar) file to pdf works great except for one thing. The placeholder/replace with graphic file turns up without the specified file in AdobeReader9. It displays only the empty "placeholder".

The graphic files is present in the <name>_xar_files folder prior to "export website to pdf".

The placeholder for a flash file works like a charm, showing my animation in AR9.
    Also the navbuttons linking to "Next page", "Previous page" and/or any other page in the document, works fine.

Anyone having an idea?

Regards, amateur.

Default Re: Replace with graphic does not export to pdf

Placeholder features work only with HTML export.
    John.

Covoxer wrote
    Placeholder features work only with HTML export.
    Thats a pity as this would be a useful feature for myself also. I regularly create a seried of web based intranet reports at work and they share some common graphics. As I also have to export these to PDF for archive purposes and distribution to external sources I have been unable to use the placeholder method and therefore have to do a lot of unnecessary Cut & Pasting

How is adding a placeholder and entering the source any easier than pasting an image in your document?

Plus there is always the 'repeat on all pages' feature.

Hi Sledger, It's easier because you can have one master source image which is called by multiple documents/webs. The repeat objects only works within a single web document, not across multiple web docs.
    My customer cannot accept html documents or log into our intranet for security reasons, therefore I export the web based (html) reports to him in PDF (also acts as an archive copy). As exporting to PDF does not pick up the placeholder links and only exports the placeholder, I cannot use placeholders for these reports.

A good example is we have a gant chart image reporting progress against various activities; in the web space I just have a placeholder to "GantChart" which esnures anyone accessing the web always sees the latest version. In the PDF export, I have to physically paste the latest chart into the document before export and sending.
    Last edited by Carrot; 07 July 2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: example

Covoxer,

Thanks for your clear reply. But the placeholder/flash-file exports the flash to the pdf file, and works well. Can you enlighten us, please?

Regards,

amateur.

Export your (selected) bitmap to .swf and then use a placeholder to embed it as flash.

It will then export to PDF and display the bitmap.

See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi, sledger,

But covoxer stated ; "Placeholder features work only with HTML export"

Why then does flash in a placeholder work?

Usefulness ;
    I try to compile a complex case. It may be a paper copy, but then again, it may be published on the web. Using XXP when compiling the manuscript, it is natural (and convenient) to have one source (XXP) for both output channels.
    I was thrilled when I discovered that navbuttons and flash-animation worked, but disappointed that the .png did not display. My .png is produced by Geogebra (an open source math program).
    Of course I can copy the .png into the .xar document without using a placeholder, but would prefer to be able to export the .xar file as it is.

This disrupts what I hoped was a good work-flow for me. I'm glad to see others think likewise.

Is it difficult to implement?

Regards,
    amateur.

Of course I can copy the .png into the .xar document without using a placeholder, but would prefer to be able to export the .xar file as it is.
    This doesn't make a great deal of sense to me because you will always need to make sure that you have both files available (.png and .xar) instead on one .xar file with the bitmap embedded.

Xtreme's non-destructive nature when dealing with bitmaps is legendary and you can be sure that the bitmap travels with the .xar wherever you take it.

Of course, that's just my preference.

Is it difficult to implement?
    John is the developer of the html export filter for Web Designer and Xtreme.
    I'm sure he'll offer an explaination for us all shortly.

I see. Ok, I'll add a request for bitmap placeholders support.
    John.