Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Who needs a Ray Gun when you've got XX...

The following posts are experiments with creating rays using different methods in XX/XXP. This one was created using two circles having no fill and dashed lines that were converted to shapes before applying a 500 step blend between them.

Kinda cool but redraws are noticeably slow and it's off because of the dash spacing (note the ray in the 12 o'clock position).

More to go,
    Harry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blu-Rays.png 
Views:	1993 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	63131  
    Last edited by HayTay; 05 July 2009 at 04:51 AM. Reason: wording

Default Re: Who needs a Ray Gun when you've got XX...

OK, here's the ray from the first post with the blend's position profile altered to create some space between the blend steps. I also reduced the number of steps to enhance the effect. A few other shapes were added to cover the ends and add a just a bit more depth to the image. I threw in a nice lemony background and got a strange looking spoked ray, coned wheel, lemon-lime, thing-a-ma-bob.

How 'bout that,
    Harry

Name:	Cone-A-Ray.png 
Views:	704 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	63134  

For the rays used in this image, I created a 70 step blend between 2 vector shapes that were then blended and rotated along an existing circle (ellipse). Just another way to create a sun burst effect using rays. As you can see I added a few more elements and it started to look like one of Gary's famous eye-ball images. I must be reading too many of his posts as it seems to be subliminally affecting my creativity. Hmmm, it might also be the start of a neat stereogram. I'll have to see what I can do with the image in that regard.

'Til next time,
    Harry

Name:	Eye-Rays.png 
Views:	701 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	63135  

For the ray in this sun burst arrangement I started off with a 96 sided polygon. Then, using the Shape Editor Tool, I created a wedge segment using the two points for one edge and the center of the polygon. I then clicked twice on the wedge and set the rotation center point to the tip of the wedge at the center of the polygon. After setting the angle constraint on the General Tab of the Options (Ctrl+Shft+O) to 3.75 (360/96) I proceeded to duplicate the wedge 95 times to create all of the rays. The rays can then grouped as desired, deleted, colored and/or modified to create whatever effect you're looking for.

For the center image I added a few circles of varying diameter and no fill to give it that manhole cover, dart board look.

So, if anyone has any other cool ways to produce a circular ray (sun burst) arrangement I'd like to hear about it. Anyone?

That's all for now,
    Harry

Name:	Dart-Rays.png 
Views:	679 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	63136  

Pretty mighty cool "eyeball"

Juergen

Name:	beam.gif 
Views:	663 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	63138  
    Last edited by juergen; 05 July 2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added image

Nice work Harry Particularly like the eyeball, subliminally influenced or not
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Lightbulb Re: Who needs a Ray Gun when you've got XX...

This is for anyone that didn't quite follow along with the sketchy explanations I gave to accompany the Ray graphics posted earlier in this thread. A special thanks to Rik for his compliments and never ending curiosity.

The first mini-tutorial in this series is for Creating a Ray Sun Burst Effect Using the Blend Tool. I'll post the two (at least) mini-tuts for the other methods I used to create rays when I get them finished.

May you find this useful,
    Harry

Name:	Rays from Blended Dashes - MiniTutorial ©2009 HayTay.png 
Views:	703 
Size:	307.5 KB 
ID:	63152  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Very cool tutorial Harry. I usually use Spray a very convenient and useful little utility written by Dmitry. It is Free from Dmitry's site It works with all versions of Xara Xtreme, and Web designer too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by juergen View Post
    Pretty mighty cool "eyeball"
    Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    Nice work Harry Particularly like the eyeball, subliminally influenced or not
    "Eye" thank you both.

Juergen, neat looking radioactive, alien looking, piece of space matter. I take it you made the rays with Dmitry's Spray Utility mentioned by Angelize?

Frances, good call. I've had the Spray utility installed on my PC for some time now. I use it occasionally for all sorts of effects.

Cheers,
    Harry

Its lines, feathered with glow shadow. You can put 2 with slighly different shadow colors and different length on top of eachother to vary the glow.

Juergen

Name:	beams.png 
Views:	554 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	63166