Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Possible bug: Cloning doesn't work within groups in XX5

I just noticed today that using Control-K to clone an object that is within a group doesn't seem to work in XX5.1.

It does work in XX4.

I suspect it has to do with the new Object Gallery functionality. If I clone an object that isn't in a group, I noticed that the new object is placed automatically at the top of the layer. However, if an object is in a group, it can't be placed outside of the group, and thus nothing happens.

Here's what I did:

1. Create some objects and group them.
    2. Select one of the objects in the group (either by Control-clicking or in the Object Gallery).
    3. Press Ctrl-K to clone.
    4. The object isn't cloned.

I don't know if this could be changed so that the cloned object would be placed at the top of the group.

Default Re: Possible bug: Cloning doesn't work within groups in XX5

Cloning an object from within a group has never been possible with any version I've ever used; Xara X, Xđ, Xtreme, Xtreme Pro, Xtreme Pro 3.2.4, Xtreme Pro 4.0, and Xtreme Pro 5.1.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Wow, I guess you're right! Just tried it in XX4 and sure enough, cloning didn't work. My bad...

The Object Gallery definitely makes it easier to see that a new shape wasn't created, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
    The Object Gallery definitely makes it easier to see that a new shape wasn't created, though.
    Yes thatīs true. Thereīs other actions you canīt perform either like blends for example, however others you would nīt expect to work, will do like the 3D tool.
    Itīs a pitty really, otherwise groups could be used as if they were nested layers. And that would give the user a lot of control over complex works.
    As it is now the object gallery is really just a way to list the objects you have in your drawing.
    I hope they address the remaining actions (clone, blends, moving more than one object between layers etc) in next version of xtreme to make it fully functional and powerfull.

Hi Miguel,

I've always thought of a group as being a closed object once the internal objects are as I needed them. Other wise why group them before the work is done? It would be very strange to want to create a blend between two objects within a group or any other modification, at least to my way of thinking.

Please explain what any advantage could be obtained by having such a function that cannot be done without creating a group in the first place.

My most complex drawing consisted of more than 17,000 objects and using the Layer Gallery in Xara X was more than sufficient to do the work needed.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

you only need one click to select and move them all, maybe?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

ctrl+click object within group>ctrl+c(copy)>ctrl+shift+v(paste in place)
    Though the new object isn't placed within the group