Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Suggested alternative to 3 time Activation Limit

I find the 3 times activation very annoying. I have several machines at work, at home on desktop machines and on various laptops I use at various places (me as the only user at one time at any computer).

Xara should consider switching to eLicenser usb sticks for copy protection (or similar) - it would be much more convenient for me anyway. ONCE activated over the internet your license is permanently stored on the usb key and will run on every machine where the stick is connected. Next time you install the software on any computer you don't need to activate it, but connect the USB stick to make it run. Isn't that exactly what xara's EULA is talking about?

Works good for me with lot's of audio applications I purchased.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 03 July 2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Post moved to new thread

Default Re: Suggested alternative to 3 time Activation Limit

No thanks, I need my USB ports for other, more important things. I would also hate to have to carry it everwhere with my laptop. Maybe they could issue an activation code you coudl manually enter whenever you reinstall it, but I definitely do not need a dongle.

Manual activation would definately be the best solution - but I think this is out of question for these days software.

I struggled for years and avoided big time dongled software - but in the Audio world I've found it most impossible for the Software I use. I can't fight it so got used to it. My iLok and elicenser are using two USB ports, which is most inconvenient but what can you do.

Xcellent please be so nice and do a investigation by yourself about the costs of such a USB dongle (the costs per software license are important). Just in order to understand, why this is no option for a low-cost software like Xara Xtreme is.

Remi

Isn't the 3-time activation limit only for the download version? I thought I read somewhere here that the CD version wouldn't have that limit (and Xara will be shipping the CDs soon).

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Xcellent please be so nice and do a investigation by yourself about the costs of such a USB dongle (the costs per software license are important).
    US$24 , or US$25 here or EUR15.80 here. ("Steinberg Key" and "Syncrosoft" and elicensener is all the same thing). I have 3 dongles myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Just in order to understand, why this is no option for a low-cost software like Xara Xtreme is.
    Some examples of 'low-cost software' that comes included with Syncrosoft Dongle:
    Korg Legacy Collection - US$149 (dongle included)
    Rob Papen Predator - US$179 (dongle included)
    (There are tons of more examples out there of products including a protection key within their retail price)

Xara Pro - US$249 (no dongle, 3 x online activation only)

I have 3 dongles from various software packages i have purchased. 2 of the dongles are still in the original box since all the licenses are transferred to one dongle only. Once activated I just carry the dongle around and run the software from any other computer, more than 3 times on unlimited machines.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
    Isn't the 3-time activation limit only for the download version? I thought I read somewhere here that the CD version wouldn't have that limit (and Xara will be shipping the CDs soon).
    That would be ideal!! I really hope you're right to avoid any dongle or activation madness.
    Last edited by Xcellent; 04 July 2009 at 02:35 PM.

I can't see the CD versions not having an install limit... that would be very un-Magix like!

I use some database software that can be activated AND de-activated online, which is another solution but the problem with that system is that it uses your machine name and installation on another machine requires you to re-name that machine.

Genuine users don't tend to give away their software and install codes, I know that I wouldn't dream of it... I paid good money for it...so the current system is a bit irritating, given the fact that if one was so inclined, you could download a cracked version within minutes.
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"

I don't think MAGIX will use USB-Dongles, because their goal is to sell most of their products through the Online channel (their Online Shop). It's much cheaper for a software vendor: No shipping costs, no packaging, no CD/DVDs, just a little bit costs for the webserver (costs for traffic is already included within the flat rate for the webserver). And if a customer have a problem with this, let him speak with the support and reset the Activation count. Easy like that.

Remi

You could look at it another way .... I've never heard anyone say that Xara has refused to reset their activation if requested, so is there a problem anyway?
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"