Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Spheres?

I remember seeing an example of a globe or a sphere in this forum when it opened up. I've tried max-bevelling a dot and square imported as wmf and Xara. I'm trying to create a soccer ball.
    The only results I seem to be getting is a pill !! It's close but no cigar.

Any help is appreciated, Ivca
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I remember seeing an example of a globe or a sphere in this forum when it opened up. I've tried max-bevelling a dot and square imported as wmf and Xara. I'm trying to create a soccer ball.
    The only results I seem to be getting is a pill !! It's close but no cigar.

Any help is appreciated, Ivca

ivca

I find the best way to produce a sphere is to use a full stop in times new roman.

Set the extrusion to 127 and bevel to curved 800.

This gives a good sphere shape altho there is still a slight flattening, but very slight.

The hardest problem is getting a texture as this bend around the sphere and distorts at the extremities. See attached animation. I do'nt know if a photograph of a ball would work better.

I've only included a halo effect in the background to show how spherical the sphere is.

Regards

Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	football.gif 
Views:	589 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	2965  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg.

I was wondering why 3d4 wouldn't treat a regular circle the same way as it did the period. In the end, aren't they the same vector data? Or is it because it is part of font type data.

Regards - Ivca

We know where to go for answers ....

BTW : I took a peek in the Xone. Your work is very nice.

Ivca

I don't know why a circle imported from Xara is different from a full stop either. This was my first option, i.e. importing a circle but I kept ending up with a large flat end no matter how I adjusted the original size, bevel and extrusion. I expect you've got it right when you say its because its text. i.e. the full stop needs to be proportionally a lot smaller than a simlar font sized character.......but what the hell it works!

The texturing problem is'nt one thats easy to get around I expect. In a full 3D program you can apply textures using different mapping types but Xara 3D onlt applies a flat overlay. (I would'nt expect anything extra for Xara 3D anyway otherwise it would lose it's simplicity.

Thanks for the comments. I resemble the Egg!

Egg

[This message was edited by Egg Bramhill on October 13, 2000 at 02:21 PM.]
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Surely you can use circles, but it is important the the radius is small in comparison with the bevel.
    If the radius is too large you end with a shape flat as a pill, since the spheres is simply formed with the bevel and the circle remains as the flat part in the middle of the oject.

regards
    Luciano

I've made a lot of spheres and cylinders. And combinations. And other shapes as well. Rounded and curved bevel with high bevel values relative to the extrusion values.

buddycom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quad420.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	16871  
    buddycom