Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Free templates?

Default Free templates?

Hi ...

I've been using Xtreme for several years, and XWD for several months. Have several other Xara programs too, and love 'em. Finally got around to ordering, installing, and unlocking MenuMaker last night, and there's supposed to be a free set of templates available, but I'm either going crazy or blind, because I can't find any link except to a set of templates for purchase. Suggestions?

Default Re: Free templates?

Not sure Ken, I can only find the optional templates.

I'm sure that XWD was said to be Webstyle and MM's replacement anyway, there's been no updates since Feb 2004

Thanks ... I've used WebStyle off & on, but not recently. I didn't think Menu Maker would offer something not in WS, but wanted to get every available template.

The reason for looking backwards to these products is that I'm one of the folks somewhat frustrated with the lack of multi-level menu creation tools in XWD. I've used the forum to ask questions, and I think you're one of 'em who responded with helpful tips on how to do it, along with CurSor, Slavelle, and others. But it still involves too many steps (and mis-steps), and I've seen several references to using MM or WS to create the nav bar and menus, then just stuffing the code into a placeholder in XWD.

I went back to WS and found it very easy to create multi-level menus, and it makes me wonder why that's not just integrated into XWD, or (as has apparently happened) into Xara Xtreme. I just purchased the upgrade to that product, and it appears to contain all the functionality of XWD. Nice if you can do it all with one program ... but I haven't played with it the new Xtreme yet to see if it's got a real nav bar creation mode.

Many folks found the lack of those tools in XWD to be a glaring deficiency, and I guess I'd agree. Great program, but easier to go outside to create multi-level menus than to do it with all the finicky steps required in XWD.

So ... the upshot is, I have a lot of templates for all sorts of website components in WS, and acquired MM hoping to get more. Would like these functions and all templates to be available within one program.

Ken,

Finicky steps?

I agree that there are some things about the creation of these things that could improve a bit, especially for creating something that is very template-like, but really, the menus aren't complicated at all compared to a lot of the other options out there, especially when you talk about drop downs.

Menu maker has some interesting functionality, and I think it could be useful in a pinch, but to think XWD/xtreme (which does NOT have any additional function in this regard) is finicky must mean that you haven't tried to creata these things from scratch! Like with HTML/CSS - it's REALLY a pain, especially when you want them to work in all browsers - which is a total exercise in frustration.

I have found a number of ways to make single menus without dropdowns using placeholders or whatever, but honestly, once you get some of the basics down, it's WAY easier to be able to use and edit, and especially customize, using the Xara methods.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind if they added some of these features for simplicity, but I've found that with simplicity usually comes design limitations and lack of control. Almost always, I think this would be great if...

Here's a link to a creator that I used a few times to get some ideas: http://www.highdots.com/css-tab-designer/

I haven't ever tried to plug these in, and they are only a single level (no drop downs), but its free and maybe it would be a good option for some help. In fact, I just tried to drop thee in, and I'm sure it's "do-able", but it would seriously take me less time to re-create them from scratch. But like I said, maybe it would at least give you some ideas.

Ken,

If you haven't - take a look here as well for some "polugin-able" code stuff. If you are comfortable with placeholders, <head> placeholder, a little html, and not being able to see the nav while working on your design, this may be right to help you out. Similar stuff here to the things that are generated by menu maker, but this is open css/html rather than GUI based generation.

If you find this easier than using XWD to create the menus, more power to you! It is a great resource of ideas, that website...

Here's the link: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/indexc.html
    Last edited by slavelle; 06 July 2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: forgot link

Well everone I am new here and I just installed the Free Templates. Where is it? Can anyone tell me where it can be found on my computer and how to use it. I love to draw and stuff always have and I came across this software and I want to try it out. Thanks.