Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stroke alignment.

Dear Xara,

I work for a screenprinting company, doing a lot of logos and color separations, mostly in adobe illustrator. I have recently discovered your program and tried it at home - im absolutely in love with it. There is however one little function that i use ALOT thats not implemented. It's the only thing that keeps me from installing it at work. That future is stroke (line) alignement, center. outside or inside. Its a small future that is extremely useful when doing color separations for screen printing. It would be SO NICE if you could add it, should be in the line menu along with line joins and line end caps. Apart that i just want to thank you for all the amazing work you guys are doing!

Default Re: Stroke alignment.

This would be a nice detail indeed, I often duplicate the original shape over with no lines to simulate 'outside' lines.

Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled1.png 
Views:	215 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	62941  

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

+1
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Out-lines and In-lines have been on the Xara wish list for a long time.

You can also use the contour tool for outlines of any size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CreateOutlineMethod.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	63068

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Ah, but it isn't a line anymore then is it? And if you change the original shape, you have to repeat that process to get the line again, as the other shape won't automatically update, will it Steve? I agree that it is a viable workaround to get something that looks like what was asked for, but it isn't the same thing as what was asked for.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    My Club. My Album.

Yes it's a border on the outside rather than a line. Which is really what sign printers want, particularly with vinyl cutting as a 'line' is what the plotter uses as a path to 'cut' the material.
    To create an outlined (border on the outside of the shape) object for printing/cutting - the method similar to the one I described is used. Alternately a larger shape is below the smaller 'fill' shape - the end effect is an outlined (aka; border) shape.

Steve,

I'll take your word for the sign printing and vinyl cutting as I don't know anything about those things. The fact that it would be useful doesn't change, however. (As you say, it has been on the wish list for some time.) I also think that creating an object with a line, setting it to the outside of the object and converting line to shape, is a much quicker process than the one you described. But that is just my two cents.

Eric
    My Club. My Album.

I'm happy with whatever works for you Eric.

As I said, "You can also use the contour tool." Just to illustrate another method.

I agree, and outline/inline setting would be useful too.

Thanks for your post. It’s really useful .
    simulationcredit

I work for a screenprinting company, doing a lot of logos and color separations, mostly in adobe illustrator.
    sonnerie portable gratuite