Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default multiple clipboards

I would love to have multiple clipboards

for example, I could have multiple sets of attributes loaded to paste, and be able to choose the appropriate one without having to reload each time

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: multiple clipboards

You have a pasteboard area for this purpose.
    John.

Hi John

what I am saying is, for example:

ctrl+c

then ctrl+shift+a

it would be useful to me to have several ctrl+shift+a options all loaded at the same time - cannot do this at present, only flip-flop between them all with ctrl+c each time - this is awkward, and slow if I have to navigate to an object on the pasteboard every time as well

there are other times when I have objects copied to clipboard ready to paste back in place after a sequence of operations, where that sequence of operations itself needs the clipboard - I can get round to an extent by pasting in place to a new layer and then pasting in place back, but again this is clumsy and time consuming
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it would be useful to me to have several ctrl+shift+a options all loaded at the same time
    But you'll still have to make an additional operation to select which one do you want to use.
    John.

yes, but if they were in a floating bar/gallery or keystroke assignable, what I would not have to do, is seek out the relevant mother-object each time I wanted to change over to a different attribute set and ctrl+c that first

ok - this part of the request is turning out to be a case for an 'attribute gallery' maybe aka 'styles'

none of this covers the second part of the request though, where it would be useful to put an object[s] onto the clipboard, without clearing what was already there or having to dump it out onto a paste in place layer first
    Nothing lasts forever...

Multiple hot keys are not a good idea. It would limit you to the number of the elements and you would need to remember which combination gives you which result. Besides, to have control over placing objects on such a clipboard you would also need and extra action for copying. This is hard to be really useful.

Floating bar is not much better since you don't know what is represented by which button.

Gallery is a valid approach, and I believe very useful. But, you can do it only more flexible with your pasteboard or even second document.

For the pasteboard gallery-like solution:
    1. Place the samples of your styles in any reasonable order on the not used part of your pasteboard.
    2. Open new view of your document. Resize this window and adjust zoom and panning so that it resembles your requirements to the gallery.
    3. Continue working on the first view of your document as before.
    4. When you need some attributes to use, click on the sample in the second view window, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+Tab, Ctrl+Shift+A.

That's it. And it is stored with your document, easily maintainable, exportable and customized.

Am I wrong?
    John.

John thanks - that's pretty much how I would do it now, only problem being I tend to have more than one view open anyhow, so this would make a second..so its difficult - what I need perhaps is more monitor[s]

there is still the second point though, about sometimes wanting to use the clipboard again, before having placed the contents already on it

I think something like word [2000], where you can store up to 12 'ctrl+c' s on a gallery bar, would be useful

the important thing for me is to be able to copy them and paste them back into place, in the drawing - so the pasteboard is not a help here.

I can do it on separate layers, but they need to be hid and locked for good measure..... it is a faff [drag] sometimes
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I think something like word [2000], where you can store up to 12 'ctrl+c'
    Oh! Don't mention that nightmare... It was annoying how it tended to always get in may way.
    But I believe it could be useful for others.
    On the other hand, there's no pasteboard or layers, or even multiple views in the Word.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Oh! Don't mention that nightmare... It was annoying how it tended to always get in may way.
    I totally agree. That feature was more irritating than useful.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

all comes down to work flow - this will have to change a bit for me as a result of the new object gallery anyway, in good ways overall

thanks for talking it through John
    Last edited by handrawn; 29 June 2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Bill posted
    Nothing lasts forever...