Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is Is Possible to Make a Truly Transparent Background in Xara Pro?

I'm fairly new to Xara Extreme Pro so still figuring out how to things work. So here's what I'm trying to do...

I have an account on Viddler that streams my association's videos. With this streaming client, you are able to upload a logo graphic that is automatically placed in all your videos. Try as I might, I can't seem to create a transparent graphic where there isn't still some of that "fuzz" around everything. The result is that it looks really bad on the video.

You can see what I'm mean here:

See how the edges of the logo (which is supposed to have a transparent background) are all choppy blue?

I know it's possible to create a truly clean transparent graphic. The video below as example. See the logo at the very bottom right (disregard the logo above that--that one is built into the video itself). No background fuzz whatsoever.

So anyway, I know it's possible to create a graphic with a truly transparent background so it's got clean edges. I just don't know how to do that in Xara Extreme Pro.

Help anyone? Mucho thanks in advance!
    Last edited by fuss; 25 June 2009 at 10:09 PM.

Default Re: Is Is Possible to Make a Truly Transparent Background in Xara Pro?

It looks like you want to export what you're doing as a PNG and select the "TrueColor + Alpha" setting. Presuming that file format is allowed, that's your best bet.

Failing that, if you need to use a GIF/PNG with a single transparent colors the aliasing is screwing you over. You may be able to resolve this by notching the quality slider down until the aliasing stops and then exporting.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Hi Fuss,

Export choosing PNG true color + Alpha

Example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truecolor+alpha.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	62745

Edit: Odat jumped in while I opened Xtreme and created the example image

Image examples are always good, but I was in a hurry to post that so that I could take part in the office Slurpee run.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Thanks, all! That did the trick. I'm still a novice at PNG so this was so simple, but very educational--thanks again.

By the way, do you all have any books or urls that you recommend for someone wanting to learn more about PNG and designing for that format?