Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking to buy a new laser mouse

I'm looking to upgrade my current mouse, a Logitech Cordless Optical mouse, to something newer and am looking for suggestions. The store shelves are filled with dozens and it's difficult to read through all the hype. I want a standard wireless right-hand 2-button mouse, scroll wheel, laser, AA batteries with long life, and most importantly high accuracy. I can't seem to get a small/accurate enough movement with the model I currently have, and the batteries wear out after about a month. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Looking to buy a new laser mouse

Hi,
    I purchased the Microsoft Laser 8000, which comes with recharging stand and am quite pleased with it. I am A "southpaw' and reconfigured the buttons through control panel. The Mouse has a unniform shape so fits both hands, some of the newer mice are shaped for right handed only.
    I am quite happy wiht it.
    Jim cost $89 Canadian give or take.
    USB Blue tooth model
    JIm

This is just my personal opinion (others may disagree)
    But I find that I can notice the difference between wireless vs cabled mice,
    in that i notice a slight time lag with cordless mice.

This is only very slight but enough to be noticed by myself. (perhaps the latest ones are better i don't know but its worth at least looking into... perhaps plug 2 in at the store: cabled vs cordless laser and do a side by side comparison)...

And if your aspiring to upgrade to a laser from your optical for a resolution upgrade that (even though substantial) is like splitting a hair then you may well also be pedantic about other factors effecting pointing performance?

ie cables are a nuisance but if your interested in performance then perhaps its worth getting a little tangled from time to time for a little bit more zip.

I had a wireless optical mouse that gave me fits. Those of you who can use the wireless with no problems are lucky or more computer savvy than me. I am now very happy with my wired Microsoft Comfort Optical 3000.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

I swear by my optical trackerball (2 actually) the ones where you can run the ball with your thumb. I could never get hang of the use of mouses or tablets.
    Well for drawing a tablet is easy sometimes

I can just rest my arm and my thumb does the walking.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Logitech MX Revolution. I've had one for about a year now and it's brilliant.

Doesn't take batteries though. It has a rechargeable Li-oin battery and a charging dock.

I have used a Logitech MX700 cordless for at least 5 years, I have one for both my desktop PC's. They use rechargable AA's which charge in the dock when the mouse is not in use. They're almost indestructable!
    I am so accustomed to the weight, shape, feel of the mousewheel and the position of the thumb buttons that I feel lost with any other mouse

I saw an eBay seller getting rid of old stock of the MX 700 a few months ago for $15 each, so bought 4 more (with dock) - ready for when (if) the current mice give up the ghost

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mx700.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	62477

I also have a Logitech MX Revolution and have been very happy with it for several years now. I also have the VX Revolution for my laptops and it is great for using with them. Two of the finest mice I have ever had and I've had plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
    I swear by my optical trackerball (2 actually) the ones where you can run the ball with your thumb. I could never get hang of the use of mouses or tablets.
    Well for drawing a tablet is easy sometimes

I can just rest my arm and my thumb does the walking.
    I have always wanted to try one of these

(for more than a few minutes)

but have never got round to it...
    As being a digitizer i always have an eye out for developments in pointing technology.
    But never got round to purchasing one of these.
    The logic being that with a mouse you can almost traverse the whole screen (depending on settings) before you get to the edge of your mouse mat and then have to lift and take another pass (which is no problem but anyway).

(i.e. my settings are optimized for accuracy so anyone who uses my mouse is appalled by how far you have to move the mouse and how slow the cursor moves compared to setting optimized for normal pointing)

But i guess i just have reservations as i see you would much more frequently have the reposition the thumb on the ball as the process would involve much more frequent "passes" of the thumb over the ball etc....which i guess you would adapt to but it strikes me as a factor that would limit speed for my desired application.

I just wonder how i could adapt to one of these re: digitizing ie where you need to be placing points (very accurate positioning of the cursor then right or left clicking) down perhaps 3-5 per second for perhaps 30 minutes or an hour at a time.

You would know better than I would... do you think this would be an issue with one of these ie. vs a mouse?
    Last edited by morphonius_821; 22 June 2009 at 01:32 AM.

I must have the low end wireless mouse like Jim. I havent used it that much yet as I just got it for my birthday but I have not had any problems with it.
    Steve , that looks like a nice mouse. I guess if I get tired of replacing batteries, I can look for one of those models.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire