Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Scanner Techie Question

I have had one of those HP 4670 vertical scanners for a few years and when I went over to Vista I downloaded the drivers from HP and everything worked. Don't know what happened but recently it stopped working and if I used any programme which had an acquire function I would get a message "Twain not found". If you go to the control panel and look there there is no scanner install but under the device manager the scanner is there. Did a Google search and saw that other people had similar problems and most people suggested Vu-Scan which worked well but I am a tight Scotsman and I dislike spending money when it worked previously.

So after a bit more investigation came across suggestion of going into the system under Advance Settings, Environmental Settings, Path, and inserting the path to the Twain drivers. Did that and it now works but I only get B/W any suggestions folks as I don't know what to do and HP tech are hopeless. The images below show what is in the Twain_32 directory. All help, bar using Driver Detective which I have done, will be gratefully received.
    Cheers
    Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scanner.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	62668  
    Design is thinking made visual.

Default Re: Scanner Techie Question

Have you considered a System Restore to a point before it stopped working?

You would think by now I would know my way around the forum, sorry for posting it here Steve.
    To answer your question yes I have looked at all my system restore points but I don't know which one that caused the problem. The only thing that I know it was working in March and I did a system restore back to then and it made no difference.

The system path looks like this: C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32 ;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;c:\Progra m Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AGL;C:\Program Files\Samsung\Samsung PC Studio 3\C:\Windows\twain_32\hp Scanjet Scanner

My thoughts are should I lead the path right to the dll: "C:\Windows\twain_32\hp Scanjet Scanner/hp46XX.dll"

Did that and it is now working in colour but only with Acro Pro which is good enough for me. If anyone else has any thoughts on this I would be very happy to listen to. Have done all the usual things like rollback drivers - unistall, then install with the scanner disconnected, then turn on scanner. All the usual things that you would do for USB 2 connections.

Hi,
    Just found this thead bout Twain, don't know if this will help but anyways. When you install the twain driver is windows it putst the twain.dll in system, but when you install the 'Scanner/Printer' or whatever it also puts files in a "Twain32" in windows directory that has the DLL or some other named extension that pertains to your particular scanner capabilites, try lookin in that directory.
    Jim

Yea I did that and got it working and I am sorry to say this Jim I got it working about a week after I posted this thread. Cheers and thanks Jim anyway.

Glad you got it working...windows is wierd sometimes..