Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Search Engine Optimizing (SEO) Tips for Xara Websites

I think it highly likely Officer
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

I think you may have thwarted his rather lame spam attempt
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

i really appriciate your all points... but i like the most one is the 7th one that i completely don't know about how to handel it..

thank's for sharing...

Thank's
    IP

I noticed references to third party sites to create site maps. XDP does this for you automatically.
    IP

A couple of things I've learned SEO is about MEO [maximising Every Opportunity] rather than just doing one thing. A list of what I've learned so far is below and so I hope it helps others.

:- organise your keywords in order of preference [i.e. having the most important keyword for your page show first rather than last]
    :- chose one key word per page to focus on rather than several
    :- put your most important key word for that page in the title, web address, meta description
    :- organise your Headers [H1/H2/H3 etc] and have one H1 per page.

I also have two questions re: SEO, one specifically for Xara and another for SEO linking software

1: - Thing I've found with Xara in the past is that I've written ALT text for the images but when publishing the site... the image text doesn't publish. When I go to view source it'll show img938.jpeg for example. How do I and other users get around this?

2: - For those of you who are familiar with SEO linking software whether it's from SEOMoz, Majestic etc... who would you recommend for the layman to use? I've been looking at these software programs [not link farms] and have become confused by the choice that is available.

Regards,
    AutoEvo
    IP

Am I right in saying that you should also make a point of naming each image in your website as well as using 'Alt Text' so the file has valid name rather than say 'pic1.jpg' e.g. a picture of a horse would be 'horse.jpg'.

To give the image a name, just select 'Names' after right clicking on the image and in this example you would add the folowing (filename="horse") without the brackets. The only issue I've found in doing this is that you have to remember to use a different 'name' if you have say two pictures of horses as it will overwrite the first one and you will then have the same picture in two locations on the website.

From what I remember, Google ranks page content higher if the image files are relevant to the text they correspond with, and indeed the keywords and description on that page.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jacobitejake View Post
    Am I right in saying that you should also make a point of naming each image in your website as well as using 'Alt Text' so the file has valid name rather than say 'pic1.jpg' e.g. a picture of a horse would be 'horse.jpg'.

To give the image a name, just select 'Names' after right clicking on the image and in this example you would add the folowing (filename="horse") without the brackets. The only issue I've found in doing this is that you have to remember to use a different 'name' if you have say two pictures of horses as it will overwrite the first one and you will then have the same picture in two locations on the website.

From what I remember, Google ranks page content higher if the image files are relevant to the text they correspond with, and indeed the keywords and description on that page.
    You are correct in what you say about naming of pictures but don't overdo it. Remember that search engine robots can't see pictures so it doesn't match your picture names with the content of the pictures.

Re Google ranks - what you said used to be true, but since Google is now getting significant income from website advertisers, the whole ranking system has gone a bit belly up in my opinion. I was recently searching for a specific make and model of camera using google and the results were quite interesting - all the top sites were those camera shops that advertised with google and the remainder on the first couple of pages were websites that did camera reviews. Switch to bing and you get a totally different picture
    If you haven't the ability to generate your own ideas - don't pinch mine.

If in doubt, read the manual/help files
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by penmore View Post
    You are correct in what you say about naming of pictures but don't overdo it. Remember that search engine robots can't see pictures so it doesn't match your picture names with the content of the pictures.

Re Google ranks - what you said used to be true, but since Google is now getting significant income from website advertisers, the whole ranking system has gone a bit belly up in my opinion. I was recently searching for a specific make and model of camera using google and the results were quite interesting - all the top sites were those camera shops that advertised with google and the remainder on the first couple of pages were websites that did camera reviews. Switch to bing and you get a totally different picture
    Excellent, thanks for the update and heads up re ranking, I'll definitely bare that in mind, much appreciated.
    IP

Thanks robobugs, your post is greatly appreciated by me and maybe it could be expanded by the gurus from Xara.

I am getting slowly into the swing of things and I want to thank GWPriester and Pauland for their help, thanks guys. For what it's worth, I love Xara, it's so easy to use, but of course one has to to follow instructions :-) explicitely to get the best out of it.
    Therefore, I'd love to see more on Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) for the simple reason that google has become the "authority" on this. One of the reasons we make web pages is that others will look at it :-) and "google it".
    I have used some free SEO sites to check up on my "compliance" on SEO and found that I need to smarten up on
    1. H1 tags, H2 tags and H3 tags.
    2. Robots txt test
    3. Inline CSS (No idea what that means, sorry)
    4. Domain Authority (is only 1, should be at least 20)
    5. Page Authority (is only 1, should be at least 20)
    BTW, I have checked up google's SEO, but it did not tell me HOW to get the tags, txt file, CSS, etc., just that I need to fix it. :-)
    I used this http://smallseotools.com/website-seo-score-checker/ to check my site, http://ararat.holiday/gateway/
    I also found this SEO program: Traffic Travis V4, any comments on this would be appreciated.

I did use <h1>my-header</h1> etc. by putting it into the HTML code insertion (header and body), but when published, this was OUTSIDE on the left of the pages. I should have thought that it would appear within the pages. My website is 760 pix wide, if that has any bearing? If any of you gurus could point me into the right direction in ref. to my 5 points above, jeez, that would be great.
    Best regards
    Frank
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by CrankyFranky View Post
    Thanks robobugs, your post is greatly appreciated by me and maybe it could be expanded by the gurus from Xara.

I am getting slowly into the swing of things and I want to thank GWPriester and Pauland for their help, thanks guys. For what it's worth, I love Xara, it's so easy to use, but of course one has to to follow instructions :-) explicitely to get the best out of it.
    Therefore, I'd love to see more on Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) for the simple reason that google has become the "authority" on this. One of the reasons we make web pages is that others will look at it :-) and "google it".
    I have used some free SEO sites to check up on my "compliance" on SEO and found that I need to smarten up on
    1. H1 tags, H2 tags and H3 tags.
    2. Robots txt test
    3. Inline CSS (No idea what that means, sorry)
    4. Domain Authority (is only 1, should be at least 20)
    5. Page Authority (is only 1, should be at least 20)
    BTW, I have checked up google's SEO, but it did not tell me HOW to get the tags, txt file, CSS, etc., just that I need to fix it. :-)
    I used this http://smallseotools.com/website-seo-score-checker/ to check my site, http://ararat.holiday/gateway/
    I also found this SEO program: Traffic Travis V4, any comments on this would be appreciated.

I did use <h1>my-header</h1> etc. by putting it into the HTML code insertion (header and body), but when published, this was OUTSIDE on the left of the pages. I should have thought that it would appear within the pages. My website is 760 pix wide, if that has any bearing? If any of you gurus could point me into the right direction in ref. to my 5 points above, jeez, that would be great.
    Best regards
    Frank
    Frank, I would not rely on a site that returns this
    Warning! 3 internal urls found that are not seo friendly. An SEO friendly url must caontain only lower alphabets, numbers, slashes(/), dash(-). Underscores, upercase Alphabets and specialchars (e-g: & ? %) are nto seo friendly.
    It also then tests for Keywords despite previously dissing them.

To get H1, H2 & H3 style use Xara's Styles in the Text Tool.

The rest is a waste of time.
    Just create a site with useful content, with lots of meaning page titles.
    The only one item that you didn't highlight - the use of Alt Text Web Properties > Image > Image Caption) for all your pictures. real people with visual impairment need these more than a SEO ranking.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP