Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Redrawing logo

Default Redrawing logo

If anyone could help me with this I would be SOOO appreciative!!! I have a logo that is very old that is very poor quality and need to make it crisp for a totebag. I am assuming it has to be redrawn in illustrator to be able to make it any size I want. I have never taken any classes on illustrator so I'm so clueless!! Thank you so much in advance for any help!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	3559 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	62592  
    IP

Default Re: Redrawing logo

Hi welcome

a live trace 'black and white logo' setting should fix that just fine
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Hi welcome

a live trace 'black and white logo' setting should fix that just fine
    Sounds good but I don't even understand that!
    IP

Adobe Illustrator has a Help file (Press F1) which ought to give clues to the clueless. Search for 'Trace' (for example)
    I wonder why you'd spent so much money on a high end vector illustration application and have absolutely no idea about it
    IP

the steps are [CS4]:

file menu > new

file menu > place [your logo]

at the right of the live trace button [on the bar below the menu bar by default] click on the downward arrow and select 'black and white logo'

if you are happy with it, click the expand button to convert it from live trace to normal vector group[s]

if you are not happy, you can try one of the other dropdown trace types - for example if you do not want the white background, try 'one color logo', which is quicker than ungrouping and removing the white background after tracing

if all else fails you will need to hand trace with the pen tool...
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Following the Live Trace procedure in Illustrator and Vector Magic, the biggest fault is with the text. (see attached). The rest of the logo looks good enough.
    After completing the Live Trace, I would suggest ungrouping the result, and deleting "SNCC". Then typing SNCC in either Vag Rounded or Arial Rounded.
    Then draw an arc and select the text and the arc and from the Type Menu choose Type on a Path. You may have to adjust the tracking and the baseline shift of the text.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sncc text.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	62632  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

agreed Bob - actually if you traced it in inkscape [bri. thresh. .710] you would get a better result...

could do two traces in illustrator with different settings and take the graphic from one and the text from the other - however, that might be more work than remaking the text - depends how accurate it needs to be...
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

This is a nice and easy logo to get your teeth into AI. Do as the lads suggested, use Live Trace but don't use any of the pre-set traces. There is a very small button next to the Live Trace Tool, press it and go down to tracing options. First thing you do is activate the Preview, tick it. Then increase the Threshold button to around 190 and see what happens. If you dont like that hold down CTRL and press Z at the same time and that will take you back. Mess around with the settings until you are happy with the results.

Once you have traced the object use the Direct Selection Tool second down from the top, press key A and you will notice all the Achor Points now have blue lines with a small square on top so if you want to make a shape at the corner smoother or sharper move those squares around. Have a shot and if you have any problems come back as I have done a trace for you but have a try yourself first and post your results.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP