Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Leaving XWD Because of Immense Frustration

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think it's always best when we address issues and concerns and not get personal.
    Hi Paul

Im not getting "personal" at all, Im just highlighting the situation as I see it thats all, if it has come across to anyone that I am being a tad personal then please accept my apollogies the post was not intended that way at all.

I'm sure the cats mother might see things differently. Lets move on and cut Suzzie some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Two hours to create menus in any program isn't great.
    That's why there is a MenuMaker, isn't it?
    John.

I have to put a "plug" in for MenuMaker. My laptop crashed the other day. While I saved my XWD project file, I did not save my MM project file and had to rebuild. With 8 main menu items and over 20 sub-menu items it took me about 30 minutes.

I really need to redo my simple version video of how to do dropdowns.

For some sites, they really make it easier to get to the content you want without having to click on a thousand things. People have short attention spans and everyone browses sites differently, so it's good to have multiple ways for people to find things. Drop downs (or other similarly made effects) are one of those ways.

That said, I can seriously show you in 10 minutes or so how to create a functional dropdown menu. This doesn't need to be that complicated, nor is it out of Xara's league. Having gone the Expression Web route, I can tell you that getting drop downs to function on a site in multiple brosers using Xara is FAR easier than in any HTML CSS app you choose to use. There ARE shortcuts for some of these things even in CSS/HTML, thank God, but they take some hunting for and still take a certain amount of patience and technical knowledge to make work.

I may be able to put something together in the morning.

Wonder why there isn't just a simple program update/revision of Menu Maker? That would seem to be a very simple approach. Seems like they left Menu Maker to die and ignored that kind of approach.

Seems as if you could build your stretchy buttons via a builder/template, then go into a menu maker like script where you add your addresses, text, color pickers etc.

That's why I like Menu Maker so much but it's looking a bit dated now.

I'll have to check out that tutorial but still looks like a lot of messing around to do something that could be pretty basic.

Thanks for taking the time to post the tut!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    That's why there is a MenuMaker, isn't it?
    Yes but it looks as if Menu Maker has been mostly abandoned in terms of upgrades etc. It's looking a bit dated in that some of the button looks/templates are a bit stale.

Don't get me wrong, I like MM a lot but it needs a freshening up. I'd be the first to jump aboard.

I even used it in my most recent website but would like to update it's look a little...I lack the skills/patience to tackle it in XP5 as menumaker is much easier to use in my opinion.

Any likelihood of a face lift for Menu Maker?

Thanks

I said I would do a video with a simple example of this navbar/dropdown menu thing and I have. Here's a link to the new thread related to that. Please comment there, not here.

here's the link: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=39668

Enjoy

great website thanks w00dy.

OMGosh, this thread has caused a lot of flurry. Sorry about that. Im Suzzy1234 the OP.

Cursor and Slavelle...THANK YOU So Much for your most excellent help!!! You guys are marvelous! Thank You.

I have stopped back here briefly... after recovering some...from the 19 step versions of cascading menus.

Curtis, your tutorial is great...thanks for helping the entire community here and me understand some of the issues and workflows involved. Great work!!

Slavelle...Thank you for the video tutorial...what a help. I love your simpler solution and video. I learn well by show-me video. Your button solution is not as visually sophisticated as Cursors buttons are obviously...but it works just great... and is easy to do. I cant wait for your second video...id love to understand more.

Im very appreciative of all your kind help and comments. Thank You.