Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Leaving XWD Because of Immense Frustration

Quote Originally Posted by infoseek View Post
    That's interesting . . . . . I was able to do everything you had trouble with in less than 2 hours. Absolute beginner too :-)
    Two hours to create menus in any program isn't great. Suzzie does have a point and for anyone having problems it's easy to see things as being worse than they really are.

Well what a thread, firstly Cursor you are an absolute star always there to lend a hand and help out in any way you can I think your ace. On this occassion its a shame the op hasn't had the respect for you taking so much time to try and help out to even bother posting a reply to your hard work.

I haven't been around for a few weeks now busy creating websites for my client list with this fantastic software, allmy clients are quite a close knit community and know each other so when one website was updated they all wanted it doing great new for me.

Over complicated nav bars are just that over complicated not needed and a waste of everyones time, if Xara thought it would have been a useful feature Im sure they would have incorporated it esily some where along the line, however I think we shouldn't lose focus on what Xara is and who it is aimed at, to me (and I may be wrong) it has been designed with drag and drop capability to make life easy for the "inexperienced" web designer or home user, these bloated nav bars are certainly not something an inexperienced user should be looking to create.

I think this time this problem is outside the realm of what WD was designed to do, and as usual the absolute stars that monitor this forum are trying their hardest to find a workaround to keep people happy personally I wouldn't bother. If its that important for this person to have this bloated nav bar then she simply has 2 choices:

a/ Go away and learn all about Dreamweaver and Expression Web maybe in around 6 months she will have the necessary coding skills to achieve what she is after.

b/ Open the purse and pay a pro

To me this whole scenario is a simple as that, I may be looking at things wrong it wouldn't be the first time so appologies if you disagree with me that fact she hasn't even offered a simple thankyou to Cursor says it all to me frustration or not they guys here dont work for Xara and get no financial recompense for the hours they put in trying to help people simple manners cost nothing.

Well done Cursor patt on the back to you

I will find your tut extremely useful but have to say I try my hardest to stay away from these bloatlike features that at the end of the day have no clear benefit to anything anyhow.

Rant over..........

I think it's always best when we address issues and concerns and not get personal.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think it's always best when we address issues and concerns and not get personal.
    Hi Paul

Im not getting "personal" at all, Im just highlighting the situation as I see it thats all, if it has come across to anyone that I am being a tad personal then please accept my apollogies the post was not intended that way at all.

I'm sure the cats mother might see things differently. Lets move on and cut Suzzie some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Two hours to create menus in any program isn't great.
    That's why there is a MenuMaker, isn't it?
    John.

I have to put a "plug" in for MenuMaker. My laptop crashed the other day. While I saved my XWD project file, I did not save my MM project file and had to rebuild. With 8 main menu items and over 20 sub-menu items it took me about 30 minutes.

I really need to redo my simple version video of how to do dropdowns.

For some sites, they really make it easier to get to the content you want without having to click on a thousand things. People have short attention spans and everyone browses sites differently, so it's good to have multiple ways for people to find things. Drop downs (or other similarly made effects) are one of those ways.

That said, I can seriously show you in 10 minutes or so how to create a functional dropdown menu. This doesn't need to be that complicated, nor is it out of Xara's league. Having gone the Expression Web route, I can tell you that getting drop downs to function on a site in multiple brosers using Xara is FAR easier than in any HTML CSS app you choose to use. There ARE shortcuts for some of these things even in CSS/HTML, thank God, but they take some hunting for and still take a certain amount of patience and technical knowledge to make work.

I may be able to put something together in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    That's why there is a MenuMaker, isn't it?
    Yes but it looks as if Menu Maker has been mostly abandoned in terms of upgrades etc. It's looking a bit dated in that some of the button looks/templates are a bit stale.

Don't get me wrong, I like MM a lot but it needs a freshening up. I'd be the first to jump aboard.

I even used it in my most recent website but would like to update it's look a little...I lack the skills/patience to tackle it in XP5 as menumaker is much easier to use in my opinion.

Any likelihood of a face lift for Menu Maker?

Thanks

I said I would do a video with a simple example of this navbar/dropdown menu thing and I have. Here's a link to the new thread related to that. Please comment there, not here.

here's the link: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=39668

Enjoy