Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default popup repels text

All:

I have a page with with a number of subject paragraphs. Rather than have one long page the user has to scroll through, I would like to have one short page listing the subjects linked to the appropriate paragraphs. When the user mouses, or clicks, on the desired subject, the paragraphs becomes visible and repels any text below.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: popup repels text

Hi Ron,

Anything on a popup layer that repels text, will always repel text on any layer below it, weather the popup layer is currently showing or not. So I don't think it will do what you are after.

What I have done in the past is to set aside a certain portion of the site for the popup sections to appear, that is not directly over the subjects. This worked well for me for a FAQ section on a previous site. Each popup layer replaces the one previously shown. I know that this isn't quite what you are after but it should be a viable workaround.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    Hi Ron,

Anything on a popup layer that repels text, will always repel text on any layer below it, weather the popup layer is currently showing or not.
    Not entirely true.
    Your popup layer can load an iframe which includes repelling objects that do not affect the parent page or other layers.

I demonstrated this a short time ago in another thread.

example .web file

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Text in an Iframe isn't exactly on a layer. But, I will concede that it can be done that way, Steve.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    My Club. My Album.

Well the popup layer is still there, but the layer content differers slightly in that it also contains an <iframe tag.

Hello - the double-bass has gone, replaced by a different head-stock !

Yes. I've been playing around with the bitmap tracer trying to do something similar to what Logovend/JA does. I'm not sure that I like the effect that I am getting so far. Nice head-stock comment.

Eric
    My Club. My Album.

All:

Thanks for all your input. I haven't used frames yet. I'll give that a try.

On the subject of frames, I noticed that my frame gallery is grayed out meaning it's not available to me. How do I turn it on?

Ron

The Frame Gallery is for creating gif and flash animations.

You would need to select File > New > Animation (or use Shift+Ctrl+N) to begin a new animation document.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Tnanks, I just saw that in help.

Ron

The word frame can be a little confusing as it means two different things in reference to graphics (animations) and web sites (framesets).
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update