Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Helvetica Font

Default Helvetica Font

I had the Helvetica on my computers for years and then I lost it. I am pretty sure it is one of the base fonts you get with the installation of the windows operating system but i can not find it. Can anyone help me!

Default Re: Helvetica Font

Grab your Windows disc and follow these steps

How to install or remove a font in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314960

The closest to Helvetica you get for free is Arial which comes by default with windows.

If you had the original Helvetica font on your computer, that would have been included in one of your software packages you had installed (my guess).

OT: test here if you can see a difference between Arial or Helvetica

Thanks for the idea Sledger, i did look at the installed fonts in windows xp and didn't find it there but i do have the disks for older versions of windows that i can look in.

Safe your time, you won't find "Helvetica" on any Microsoft Windows Installation CD or disk. Microsoft never licensed the original "Helvetica".

The closest you get to Helvetica with any default Windows version is Arial.

You most probably had it on your system because of page maker or any other software program that installed Helvetica for you.

Sledger,

Thanks for the list of fonts supplied with XP, they look very different from mine. There are lots of typeface names there I don't recognise. I'll try to find the extra's .....
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Helvetica is usually a Type 1 or Postscript font. If you had a Postscript printer driver, you may have gotten it that way.