Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default xara4.0.4966 import to illustrator CS as PDF

I imported a fill with transparent gradient and stroke into illustrator via PDF. The image shows pixelation at the edges and artifacts, does illustrator still convert this to raster when importing in PDF? I`m trying to get either gradient fills or gradated transparency into illustrator CS without pixelation. AI , SVG or copy paste only bring it in as raster/pixels..

flat fills and strokes can be pasted into illustrator. So can blends, contours, envelope distort, quickshapes, clipping masks (to unclip in illy go to object/clipmask/release (alt ctrl 7)

illustrator can paste into xara as flat fills and strokes, vector patterns, blends, and gradients ( gradients import as bitmaps only)

the first image shows artifacts and pixelation on taking a smooth object from xara out to PDF. The 2nd shows pixelation of imported opened PDF in illustrator CS from XX4 pro. I`m trying to keep them sharp vectors. But I like the gradient transparency from XX4, my wishlist is clean export from Xara to illy with gradients and gradated transparencies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDFartifacts_xaraexport.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	62381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pixelationPDFimport_xara2illy.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	62382  

Default Re: xara4.0.4966 import to illustrator CS as PDF

Adobe Illustrator doesn't support a number of Xara's features, gradient fills or gradated transparency included.
    You'll probably need to import straight vector shapes then add the gradients using Illy's tools.

Yes a Steve pointed out to you keep things plain very plain if you want people to edit your work. Stay away from any bitmap effects like bevels, shadows and 3d. To be honest as well as what Steve mentioned blends and moulds to can cause problems but not to the same extent. It is not importing the PDF into AI that is the problem the XPro export to PDF is the final product that you send to print so like AI it rasters the problem areas are transparencies but unlike AI it gives you no warnings of the problems areas. If you are using transparencies with text always put the text on the front layer above any transparencies.
    Design is thinking made visual.

great feedback, I`m a fan of both softwares, some things are better faster in either, when I think of the effects I want, knowing how fast and experimental I can use gradated transparencies and feathered edges in xara to make effects, surfaces, it feels painful in illustrator, but I use illy because the I like the drawing tools, wish the illustrator team would bump heads with xara to help them import cleanly but I guess that`s competition. I`m of the mindset both companies would benefit from the shared collaboration if they think about it.