Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Puzzeling times

Hello People

This subject recently cropped up in the newsgroups and covers a technique I'd all but forgotten about (damned if I can remember where I read it first), but to me it is such fun, I think it is worth repeating here.

It involves the powerclip feature and it's unexpected effects on bitmaps.

Try this

[LIST]<LI>Import a bitmap into Draw
    <LI>Select the graph paper tool (often hidden behing the polygon tool) and enter for example 3 rows and 3 columns
    <LI>Enable snap to objects
    <LI>Stretch the graph / paper grid from top left to bottom right of the bitmap
    <LI>Select the bitmap and then enable the powerclip feature
    <LI>Then select the graph paper grid as the container for the bitmap
    <LI>Make the outline for the grid, no colour.
    <LI>Now ungroup the graph paper grid

Presto one sliced and diced bitmap image.

But it gets better, it appears that any group of enclosed curve shapes can be used as a powerclip container, so you could created a jigsaw puzzle effect using the trim command on a rectangle.

Or simply power clip the bitmap inside a closed shape (like a rectangle), set the eraser tool to a very narrow value and using a freehand technique carve up the powerclip rectangle, when you have finished, break the powerclip object apart.

Now you might think you will end up with gigantic files sizes using the above method, as the bitmap appears to be replicated in each new object, but on saving the file you will find it is almost the same size as a file containing one bitmap plus a powerclip effect. It appears that Draw knows it only needs to reference one bitmap for all the little pieces.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

<<<Or simply power clip the bitmap inside a closed shape (like a rectangle), set the eraser tool to a very narrow value and using a freehand echnique carve up the powerclip rectangle, when you have finished, break the powerclip object apart.

Now you might think you will end up with gigantic files sizes using the above method, as the bitmap appears to be replicated in each new bject, but on saving the file you will find it is almost the same size as a file containing ne bitmap plus a powerclip effect. It appears that Draw knows it only needs to reference one bitmap for all the little pieces.>>>

.. once it's broke apart the file size will grow. If you want to have the file size stay small, but to also have the ability to apply URL's to pieces of the objects, break the thing apart 1st, clone the bitmap then throw it into the powerclip containers. You'll have to realign it aftwards in each container but the file size (CDR) will remain small. It's a toss up, but with file compression enabled it's probably faster to let it replicate the bitmap and take the hit on file size as opposed to spending the time to realign the bitmap in each container.

Big
    IP

Hi Peter...

That's really great! My first concern was the file size, but no need to worry.

Learn something new every day!

Thanks,

Gary
    IP