Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: Thank you and good bye! I'm no longer Xara's target audience.

I just made some fresh warm popcorn, taking the front row seat, please continue on.

Name:  popcorn.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  7.7 KB
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 18 June 2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: remove hotlinked image - reduced size
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by instinctive.de View Post
    Xtreme is very fast - and fast code is rarely 'well designed'
    From what I understand it's the opposite, programs has to be well designed to perform.

People who take the time to think out simple and effective UI while keeping the code slim are quite rare today.

This is one of the reason I like Xtreme.

Marc
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by coco View Post
    From what I understand it's the opposite, programs has to be well designed to perform.

People who take the time to think out simple and effective UI while keeping the code slim are quite rare today.

This is one of the reason I like Xtreme.

Marc
    I think he's talking about not making it easily editable from a development point of view - thinking of future enhancements.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by JokeArtist View Post
    I think he's talking about not making it easily editable from a development point of view - thinking of future enhancements.
    Ok, I guess I misunderstood then.
    Tough I meant what I said about the lean quality coding of Xara.

Marc
    IP

I made a few Disparaging posts here about Xtreme 5 because I was not happy with the direction that it went and it was not the product that I thought it should be. While I would rather see more drawing tools or features, that should not take away from the hard work and dedication of the Xara Staff. I do not know much at all about coding and I am sure it is not an easy task to implement the new tools and or features that people are wanting or they would do it.
    Xtreme is still my favorite program to draw with. And still much easier to use than Illustrator. So my thanks to the Xara staff for that. and your hard work.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Thank you and good bye! I'm no longer Xara's target audience.

I would just like to say this.... different strokes for different folks at different times. Xara is catering to a niche market of individuals and I fall into that category.

Not everyone needs photoshop or wants photoshop and Illustrator. It does not have to be an either or situation. I mostly use XARA and I also use photoshop and illustrator when I need to. Simple.

Personally, I cannot get done what I need to get done with XARA. It has been a life saver for me and I cannot begin to tell you how much I am grateful from the bottom of my heart for this software. I could kiss each and every person in the office! I feel your love.

I would like to thank the staff at XARA because their software has literally saved my life! I LOVE THE NEW FEATURES IN PRO 5. I jumped up and down for at least 5 minutes. GENIUS GENIUS GENIUS... THANK YOU!
    I have been using XARA to design sites and the merging of 2 programs is my dream come to life. No... it's not Dreamweaver and it doesn't need it be... otherwise I would use Dreamweaver. I don't need XARA to be like photoshop... other wise I use photoshop... period point blank!

I love the simplicity of XARA and I am sure it will continue to improve over time.

Kisses and Love!
    M
    IP

Talking Re: Thank you and good bye! I'm no longer Xara's target audience.

I feel your love, too and therefore I would like to hear, what kind of stuff you are smoking, msheesha.

Make love, not war
    Remi
    IP

Wow... I popped in to see what people were doing with Xtreme 5 (and saying about it) and I was really surprised to see this post at the top of the threads.

I just want to say I'm really enthusiastic about version 5. It has a ton of stuff that I've been looking for, and it's a "no-brainer" upgrade. I can't tell you how many people I've gotten to spend the $89 to get Xtreme, and they love it.

If any of you remember me, I used to complain a bit about Xtreme relative to Illustrator... I've used Illustrator since the very first version in 1987. But I found I got accustomed to Xtreme and find myself much more productive with it than Illustrator, despite my 15-year head start.

One of the reasons I haven't visited TalkGraphics so much is that I'm not having the problems I used to have with the software. I've adapted to it, and it has adapted to me. I don't know how I could get along without "combine shapes." And the speed, oh the speed.

My day-to-day work tends to be designing business-related materials, which really end up being web pages or promotional emails. So the enhancements in V5 mean a lot to me, including the different page sizes, ability to link/repeat objects across pages, HTML code placeholders, etc.

For these purposes, Xara is simply unmatched, and I can out-produce just about any Illustrator user out there, no question. I also find it perfect for user interface production, which is why I was scratching my head over the claim the OP made with his UI mockup not being practical with Xara. If there was something in that design that Xara was unsuitable for, I didn't see it.

It's a huge relief to be able to import Illustrator files more reliably; I tried a few that had given me problems and I was very happy with the results. The new object gallery is a huge improvement. Soft groups spanning layers, the ability to lock individual objects, linking graphic elements with to points in text, spell checking, text syncing, different layers on different pages... these are all absolutely welcomed. I love the new ability to just drag the edge of a page down in V5.

I still have my little grievances with Xara, but I have a lot more with Illustrator at this point. (My main one is they got me to purchase Web Designer a while ago when it turned out I didn't need it, with all the new features in Xtreme! My second one is no Mac version.)

I do agree that Xara is not necesarilly moving in a direction that will please professional illustrators, people who do "fine art." But I think Illustrator is just as inappropriate for that because it's anything but fluid and uncluttered. I forget whether it's left-brained or right brained, but whichever side my artistic side lives in, Illustrator is definitely on the other side and has been for a few years now. In my opinion the only really excellent vector program for that was Expression 3, and Microsoft really screwed that software up when they bought it. (Still keep E3 on my drive for when I'm in a creative mood, and thank goodness the free download is still available for those who seek it.)

And I agree Xara is not precise enough at times. I still miss the node editing tools. Nothing beats Adobe in that regard, though their brand of precision comes as a price of complexity and tedium.

Nevertheless, the direction Xtreme moved in with V5 has made me very happy and will increase my productivity andf simplify my workflow considerably. I find it to be one of the best values in commercial software. Bravo, Xara... keep up the good work.
    IP

Excellent post!

Thanks for stopping by and adding your voice MerryOtter.
    IP

Hmm, promotional emails...

Quote Originally Posted by MerryOtter View Post
    For these purposes, Xara is simply unmatched, and I can out-produce just about any Illustrator user out there, no question.
    It's obvious, that you don't work with CMYK very much. For such purposes, Xara lacks a real CMYK mode - since years without change. Instead, they are coding a new "red eye removal tool" with each and every new version.

eobet was talking about that Xara is lagging behind the competition. He mentioned the lack of mesh fills, live trace, live colors. Others are asking since years for new vector tools (like Inkscape is offering for free in the meantime).

I can understand, if a new user is using Xara Xtreme the first time and he/she is loving it. But after a short time the new users are starting to ask "why is this tool/function not available" and "when do we get it" and then the usual workarounds are being "recommended" - since years without a change.

The result is a great dissatisfaction among the users - no matter if the developers have to work hard for trying to change this general tendency or not.

"Life is what happens (to you) while you are busy making (other) plans." (John Lennon)

Remi
    IP