Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Export a BMP or JPG with a transparent background?

With XX4 I need to be able to export a Bitmap of a complex shape with a transparent background, so that when I import it into another program it does not "white-block" around the image I have drawn. I have found I am able to export as a GIF with a transparent background, but the other program only supports .BMP, .JPG, .DXF, and .WMF, so if I could do it in a high quality JPG or any of those, that would work to. Any help?

Default Re: Export a BMP or JPG with a transparent background?

well the bad news is neither JPG or BMP support transparency

DFX is not a bitmap format AFAIK

WMF - maybe, but I don't think the xtreme export filter will do it, when I try it I still get the white background
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks handrawn,

That's kinda what I was afraid of. Do you or anybody know anyway to get around it? I'm kinda stuck here ...

just checked in illustrator - still get white background exporting as wmf

which program are you importing into - does it actually support transparent bitmaps at all?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Its FactoryTalk View Machine Edition (Version 5) by Rockwell Automation. Its the programming software used for the panelview plus system of automation control. In this specific instance, I'm designing the graphics to control a grain elevator off of a touch screen, and when, say a conveyor turns on or a grain spout is being used, it needs to appear on the screen, showing that it is running. I was trying to use XX4 to design the graphics because the FactoryTalk is limited in its own graphics design, but if I can't solve this issue, I dunno what I'll have to do then. This is my first using either program, so I'm still trying to completely figure them out. Perhaps theres another program besides XX4 that could create the graphics I need. I was really pleased with the results I was getting though.

As far as the FactoryTalk goes, it just says that it supports ".bmp, .jpg, .dxf, and .wmf" for importing images.

Thanks again for your help

Sorry can't be of more help - that program is way outside my experience

only thing I can suggest is that you make and export the drawing as a vector into wmf - that will preserve the transparency

it is only if there is a bitmap element that you will get the white background AFAIK
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'll try anything,

How exactly would I do that? I'm not sure what you mean by as a vector into WMF ...

Don't worry either, the program's outside my experience too!

if you are using the drawing tools in xtreme, that is vector, as xtreme is a vector drawing program

so exporting that to wmf will work in as much as you will get a transparent background

so if you have used only the xtreme drawing tools it is already vector

if however you have used a photograph/scan, bitmap texture or fill etc then that will result in a white background - its a limitation of the wmf format I believe

if you have used a bitmap it may be possible to trace it - but that depends on how detailed it is
    Nothing lasts forever...

Does the FactoryTalk software allow you to 'poke holes' in imported graphics? If so, you could design something up in Xtreme, import it into FactoryTalk, and cut out the parts you don't want to be visible.

Or, another option may be to just export square portions of the overall design as independent JPG files from Xtreme, then import these into FactoryTalk, and move them to where you need them, and then import the next little bit. Each 'square' would be something that wasn't transparent.