Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Naming exported images

Quote Originally Posted by aridzone View Post
    If anyone else doesn't want to go thru the extra task of using placeholders, you should make your voice heard.
    I hear you all! Loud and clear.
    John.

Yes, but it should be an either/or option. I wouldn't appreciate having to name every image across several pages and often the image area is not obvious. I believe you stand to lose the WYSIWYG be reverting to a named image.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Would not the ideal solution be to retain the name of the imported image?
    Once the imported picture is in the bitmap gallery, XX/XWD is certainly aware of it's original name. That way the same image can be used site-wide and only once instance exported.

However, this is all very likely academic, I'm sure John has the solution already sorted for a future update/patch

Covoxer,
    I am also putting in my voice about naming images/files/jpgs etc.
    Either image files could keep the actual name of the file upon import into the designs gallery. Or could be renamed in the doc.

I am pretty nervous as I am just now Finally getting my new xara site to go live. It is so far split up into 5 xara .web docs... with Tons of images all with numbered jpg/pngs. I am nervous because with my old site my images had actual names... and search engines could search my site via keywords found in the file names on my site. Hence Google search as 'images' would pull up some of my photos within the keywords associated with the image name.
    But now that they are just Numbers. I fear this cannot happen and I will lose some of my rankings and just Not appear within search images at all.

So yes, add me to one of the users that would LOVE to be able to have images/files to be associated names rather than generated numbers.

The idea of this whole Placeholder stuff would be long and ridiculous for me to try now... and hard to visualize when designing. And WAY more work then actually renaming if need be. Sorry, I am not interested in long work arounds that confuse me.

Yes, it would be a lot of work if I now would have to go in after the fact and rename them all... I would be willing to do that if it were possible, just for peace of mind.

If what it takes is more xara customers stating they would like this to be... then PLEASE will others post they wish to be able to name exported images too.
    thank you for your time.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Eyescream View Post
    Hence Google search as 'images' would pull up some of my photos within the keywords associated with the image name.
    But now that they are just Numbers. I fear this cannot happen and I will lose some of my rankings and just Not appear within search images at all.
    Don't forget that whether images are numbered or named, it's still good practice to use the ALT attribute and the TITLE attribute

One thing I have noticed on my web stats is that many of our customers arrive via an image search. After an update the image thumbnails in the search engine Indexes no longer point to the correct image until the pages are re-crawled by the spiders. :-(

Try a Google image search for harold wood burning stove and look for Tower Forge .co.uk

A static image filename would be very welcome, especially one we could name ourselves.

Sledger, yes I've been applying the Alt names... (though still need to do a bunch more)... but not sure where the 'Title' attribute you are referring to is ... is there an easy way to 'title' in the program... or is it called something else. Let me know. THanks.
    ~

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	title-attribute.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	66396  

Pleased to see that this thread is still active.

I would also like to put my vote in for this.

Webdesigner is a lovely program. Adding control over the bitmaps would make it wonderfull !!

Jopihttp://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smiley-grin.png

Another vote for named images - I too see a large amount of traffic arrive via image search and imagine their surprise when the adult vampire costume is now a very sweet little girls pink princess outfit ... and their quick departure from the website.

The original image has a keyword rich name - alt tag is not a substitute - only an additional piece