Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Naming exported images

This problem has another aspect to it. My own site gets a lot of traffic from Google Image Search and if the file names are changing that's BAD news on the SEO side of the equation. I don't see why there can't be a way to name images in your content what you want .... I've always named images in a keyword-sensitive fashion and that has worked well for me.

I saw the naming restriction right away so to work around that I ALWAYS use the image description tag in the web properties CP ... I hope that will offset changing image names whenever I update!

This is a big issue on the SEO side & I sure hope the developers are pulling out all stops to write a patch!
    Paul J
    "If it was easy ... everyone would be doing it!
    http://www.tactical-graphic-design.com

a) to karateed : moving an image or item backward (menu item arrange - move backward)

b) to sledger : i also always do a complete republish and this doesn't help

the problem is at the side of the visitor - if the browser cache of his browser isn't refreshed then the new content will not be shown correctly

do the test yourself :
    - make a small one page website
    put some images in it
    publish the website
    visit the website

- add 2 new images and move them backward some steps
    republish the changed website
    revisit the website

you will notice what the problem is

when revisiting a republished website the html of this website will point to the wrong image files.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Jopi,

How??????? If the cache has not being refreshed, surely the visitor will see all the original content, not new content with original images. You can't half refresh the content.
    Only the images are cached.

The new html is read by the browser but the images it points to have changed.

So you are then viewing new html with old content (other image, other size, ....)
    result : website unreadable.

You should really try this out !

We have had this problem with 2 websites we designed for customers now and we had to redesign their websites in dreamweaver.

You can also not expect from visitors that they always do a cache refresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jopi View Post
    b) to sledger : i also always do a complete republish and this doesn't help
    I believe you.

But it actually does work for me (unless the FTP'ing aborts for some reason and I get a partial upload.)

Xara may address this better in future, but for the moment it's really not a great deal of additional work to use the 'actual image' you want as it's own placeholder and use the 'Replace with Graphic File' in Web Properties to assign the same image.

You don't even have to have the files in a special place as XWD will copy them 'name intact' to the output folder on export. Try it

If this is causing problems then you can create a <head> placeholder and paste in the following code:

Code:
    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
    //  Published at: scripts.tropicalpcsolutions.com
    var reloaded = false;
    var loc=""+document.location;
    loc = loc.indexOf("?reloaded=")!=-1?loc.substring(loc.indexOf("?reloaded=")+10,loc.length):"";
    loc = loc.indexOf("&")!=-1?loc.substring(0,loc.indexOf("&")):loc;
    reloaded = loc!=""?(loc=="true"):reloaded;

function reloadOnceOnly() {
        if (!reloaded) 
            window.location.replace(window.location+"?reloaded=true");
    }
    reloadOnceOnly(); //You can call this via the body tag if desired
    </script>
    I found this script HERE It forces the page to refresh once only.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 25 July 2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Spelling as always!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I believe you.

Xara may address this better in future, but for the moment it's really not a great deal of additional work to use the 'actual image' you want as it's own placeholder and use the 'Replace with Graphic File' in Web Properties to assign the same image.

You don't even have to have the files in a special place as XWD will copy them 'name intact' to the output folder on export. Try it

Sledger,

Thanks for the tip. It works, but it nearly doubles the size of the website.
    Each image is placed twice in the "index_html"-directory : once with the original name and once the 'numbered' file generated by XWD.

This is really a pitty : when looking at the html file which is generated by XWD only the orignal named file is used and not the file generated by XWD.

Moreover this does not work for texts (grouped) which are exported as an image.

I also notice that when both jpg en png are used in the website, numbering starts from 0 for each type. Result : two files might have the name 0 or 1, ....

So, its only a partial solution.

Any other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    If this is causing problems then you can create a <head> placeholder and paste in the following code:

Code:
    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
    //  Published at: scripts.tropicalpcsolutions.com
    var reloaded = false;
    var loc=""+document.location;
    loc = loc.indexOf("?reloaded=")!=-1?loc.substring(loc.indexOf("?reloaded=")+10,loc.length):"";
    loc = loc.indexOf("&")!=-1?loc.substring(0,loc.indexOf("&")):loc;
    reloaded = loc!=""?(loc=="true"):reloaded;

function reloadOnceOnly() {
        if (!reloaded) 
            window.location.replace(window.location+"?reloaded=true");
    }
    reloadOnceOnly(); //You can call this via the body tag if desired
    </script>
    I found this script HERE It forces the page to refresh once only.
    Hi Egg,

So does this need to be put in every page on the site to work properly?

I like the idea of preempting the problem if it's possible.

Thanks,

Ed......:-)

Ed, I honestly don't know but I wouldn't have thought so. Only way is to try it in your index.htm only at first and see how it goes.

Jopi, I believe Steve was suggesting that you used placeholders in place of the images. So you had a folder "images" and you called for these images via placeholder text "replace with Graphic File" + "images/photo_2_load.jpg". The place holder only needs to be the same size as the image. There's no photos loaded in the index_htm_files apart from the text to image part of the page but you could easily place these into your image folders also.

I still can't see the problem though. A refreshed page loads both the source code and the renamed images.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Naming exported images - HUGE problem (imho)

This is something of a deal-breaker.

I've always handcoded sites in the past but thought I'd use Xtreme 5's web design facility for ease of use. I like the ease and I like the good code behind the scenes BUT and I mean BUT there is a major problem with the wrong image sometimes being returned.

For example: a simple 3 page site with the same banner (made up of transparencies and the like) was working great until suddenly, for no apparent reason, page 2's banner kept returning a weird distorted image as the central element of the banner. An interesting effect but not when you need consistency across pages.

I eventually found by checking the properties of the published pages that it was using the enigmatic '2.jpg' instead of the slightly zen '0.jpg'. I changed the html file to reference '0.jpg' and all is resolved...... not good to have to do a work around.

I need the ability to explicitly name images or this will become too burdensome across a multi-page site with thousands of images. It's not supposed to be 'pot luck', well not unless you design it to be...

1/. Can the developers please issue a patch to address this problem one way or another.

2/. Can Xtreme please have Webstyle's ease of use in configuring drop down menus. If Xtreme is to have a 'web design made easy' function it needs to be across the board and many designs have not carried been over.

Thanks.

Another Steve

There is one other problem with the way Xara names their files whether it be numbered or any other format. I do digital scrapbooking and plan on doing a membership site where people will download the graphics off the pages individually. The images need to be named for what they are: OrangeAlpha-A.jpg for instance and not 1. Each time a new alphabet is added, the numbering changes and downloading would be a nightmare.

I have had my customer, whom I've changed his site and will make regular site changes, has come to me and told me my pages are a mess. Now what about his customers? I won't be hearing from each and every one of them and neither will he about the problem. They'll just go to another site offering similar products.

Please, the issue has been raised long enough. Is anyone on Xara's end even looking at the problem?