Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Naming exported images

Any further reactions ons this item.

It is really a problem and makes regular updates of a site nearly impossible.
    People revisiting a site which has been updated are often confronted with a totally unreadable site (because one element has been added or changed) and will turn away from the site.

Isn't it possible to give control over naming of the image files.
    And leave the option open whether you want webdesigner to control naming or to take control yourself.

Any reaction ?

Webdesigner is a beautifull tool but this problem makes it nearly unusable !!

I'm not sure why this is a problem, so perhaps someone can explain.....

If you change a graphic and the cache doesn't update, then the "viewer" sees the same site as before. If it does update, then the "viewer" sees the new site. The cache doesn't partially update.

This is ONLY a problem if you try and shortcut the update by just uploading one file. Xara recommend using the built in FTP and uploading the whole site.

I have heard many moans about time, but rarely is a site so time sensitive that you can't just "click" and leave it to upload fully. You don't need to spend time doing it, just leave it alone and have a coffee .........
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi Ss-kalm,

I tend to agree with this approach. If you follow the XWD rules then everything should work fine.

Whenever I visit a site after a long hiatus then I do a cache refresh. I press CTL- F5 and all will be normal.

If this was a real problem, then of course XWD wouldn't be worth the cost but I personally don't see this as a problem. The jpg and png files should be small when uploading, even a relatively large site shouldn't take very long to upload.

Ed......:-)

There is a problem if you like to break up your website into different .web files. The same graphic files get created 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg ...

Xara should randomly generate the first 3 letters for every .web file it creates. So it would generate something like this pda001.jpg, pda002.jpg, pda003.jpg ... for one .web file and something like this for another web file htr001.jpg, htr002.jpg, htr003.jpg ...

Also when a new graphic is added and the website is revised it should start at where it left off like htr004.jpg

I also agree it would be nice to be able to use imported file names but I don't know if that will be possible.

Covoxer?

Right Aridzone, Thanks, I hadn't thought about multiple .web files.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by aridzone View Post
    There is a problem if you like to break up your website into different .web files. The same graphic files get created 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg ...

Xara should randomly generate the first 3 letters for every .web file it creates. So it would generate something like this pda001.jpg, pda002.jpg, pda003.jpg ... for one .web file and something like this for another web file htr001.jpg, htr002.jpg, htr003.jpg ...

Also when a new graphic is added and the website is revised it should start at where it left off like htr004.jpg

I also agree it would be nice to be able to use imported file names but I don't know if that will be possible.

Covoxer?
    Very good point....hmmmm.....could be interesting down the road couldn't it?

The problem is as follows :

e.g.: you make a site with 4 bitmaps (A, B, C and D)
    when exporting XWB names them 1.png (A), 2.png (B), 3.png(C) and 4. png (D)
    first visit on website - the 4 png files are stored in cache

you add a bitmap to your website and move it backward (E)

when exporting this changed website XWB renames the files differently (apparently xwb names the bitmaps in the sequence they appear in the website)

files are now 1.png (A), 2.png (E),3.png(B),4. png (C) adn 5.png (D).

when earlier visitor revisits same website now.
    the images stored in cache now appear in different positions and different sizes (since the initial png files have a different content) and this makes part of the website unreadable.

this can only be undone by clearing the cache and refreshing the website.

difiicult to put on your website "if site is unreadable please refresh cache" - this would be highly unprofessional.

this is realy an important issue and makes xwb nearly unusable.
    we have decided to go back to dreamweaver because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jopi View Post

you add a bitmap to your website and move it backward (E)
    Hi Jopi (with a p).....

I'm sorry, I don't understand this statement. How do you 'move it backward'?

Thanks,

Jopi,

How??????? If the cache has not being refreshed, surely the visitor will see all the original content, not new content with original images. You can't half refresh the content.
    Keith

If only a partial site re publish is carried out, you will see the misplaced elements which no longer correspond with the html source.
    Always perform a full re publish and then refresh.
    As Keith says, after a full republish refreshing will load the newest content. (I've personally done this enough times to know that it works)