Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Naming exported images

Is there a way to control the naming of the bitmaps when exported.
    Now it is a sequence of numbers (1.png, 2.png, ....) and I have noticed that when you add a new element to a page (and put it backward) the sequence changes and some (or most) of elements get a new number.

Now, when a visitor revisits your website after a change, the filenames of the bitmaps may not correspond with the content of his browsercache and sometimes you get very strange effects !!

any solution ?

Jopi

Default Re: Naming exported images

Quote Originally Posted by Jopi View Post
    Is there a way to control the naming of the bitmaps when exported.
    No.
    John.

I have not studied this problem myself, but it sounds like a bummer. I will be revising my site very frequently and the Browser Cache may be a problem.

1 - Have you tested to verify this behavior? Browsers may be able to detect file size or update differences when your local computer filesystem makes mistakes on thumbnails in folders.

2 - Perhaps there is a way to force a fresh load from a browser using Javascript or something? Some browsers may reject this, but there is a chance this type of script exists.

Thanks for the interesting dilemma. I will have to pay attention to this when updating my own site.

Mike

@covoxer

As I understand it from what I have read, the following is a partial solution.

Code:
    <meta http-equiv="PRAGMA" content="NO-CACHE" /> 
    <meta http-equiv="CACHE-CONTROL" content="NO-STORE, NO-CACHE, MUST-REVALIDATE, POST-CHECK=0, PRE-CHECK=0" /> 
    <meta http-equiv="EXPIRES" content="01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT" /> 
    <meta http-equiv="Last-Modified" content="01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT" /> 
    <meta http-equiv="If-Modified-Since" content="01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT" />
    Unortunately I have little knowledge of controling the cache so I was wondering you could shed any light on the value of using these tags?

Drwyd

These tell browser to refresh cache everytime you visit a site.
    But, they don't force it to do this, so the browser may ignore it depending on the browser version and settings. There is no known way to 100% reliably force any browser to refresh it's cache using anything in the page html code.
    Enother thing is that we actually don't want to reload all the graphics everytime, this is similar to disabling cache which is bad. We only want browser to check for changed files and update them in it's cache. And this is a default setting of all browsers. Unless you change it, it works as expected, all updated images are refreshed if needed.
    But, as in many other cases, you can not forbid user to mess with browser settings and as a result get wrong page rendering. It's a client side problem.
    John.

you have confirmed my suspicions john, the cache is probably best left well alone

I have experienced the same problems as Jopi when updating my sites and I am worried that it may sometimes make a less than perfect impression on returning visitors when the site is updated frequently. Are there any plans to address this in a future update?

drwyd

Unfortunately I don't see a way to reliably address this issue. Explicit image file naming can not help if you update already existing images.
    John.

Explicit file naming would already solve a large part of the problems.

Would a condition such as 'fixed element' in the 'webproperties' be a solution ?
    When setting up a website you normally now in advance which elements you want to be permanent. If you could tag them this would already help.

Isn't there a way to have XWD remember the name with which it exported an element.
    In this way adding one single element to a page would not mess it up completely.

developers
    Is there a way to control the naming of the bitmaps when exported
    MANY people REALY NEED THIS.
    This is REALY PROBLEM!!!

Unfortunately I don't see a way to reliably address this issue. Explicit image file naming can not help if you update already existing images.
    Explicit file naming would already solve a large part of the problems.

I dont anderstand - add the tag(file_name) for all grafics elements in xara is a big problem??!!

Many web designers software have this option!
    Last edited by maksimon; 12 June 2009 at 07:50 PM.