Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to open popups from a flash navbar

I have a web page going and I have several .pdf files that users can access, but for them to access the pages, I had to set it up to open in iframe on a different page. What I would love to do is to create popups that have the iframes in them, that way the user can stay on the same page and I won't have to create a new page for every .pdf file. Ok, I know how to do it from xwd, but my problem is that I use a flash navbar. How would I get the popups to open from the flash navbar? I have no clue on how to do this or if it's even possible. I would love some input and guidance on this matter if possible..

Thank you very much in advance....
    RaZzLE

Default Re: How to open popups from a flash navbar

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can upload the PDF file to your server and add a link to the PDF URL. This opens the PDF in your browser in the same window.

Sorry, but thats not what im looking for. I need the pdf's to open in popup layers, but can't figure out how to make a link from external navbar that would open the xwd popup layer...

If anyone has any ideas on this, please let me know...
    RaZzLE

I'm not sure how your website is set up, with the flash navbar and all, but if you allow me to just (wildly) imagine a possible solution: place a nearly invisible button on top of your flash navbar that links to the popup...

Try following:
    1. Create some hidden object linked to the popup (on-click).
    2. Give it unique name.
    3. Add following link to your Flash button:
    Code:
    javascript:window.open(document.getElementById('my_popup').href,'_self')
    , where my_popup - is a name of you hidden button.
    John.

John,

Tried your suggestion but it didn't work.. I was thinking though, your code will probably work if we can change it a little.

You have:
    javascript:window.open(document.getElementById('my _popup').href,'_self')

The program I am using has a Link holder: "Http://www.whatever.com") and then it has the Target holder: "_Self")

Is there anyway to adjust the code to just popup the layer and not have to tell it what window to open in, since the flash button is already telling it?

I have no idea if that is the problem, but I tried it the other way and nothing at all happens. I created the popup layer and I placed a button on my page, linked it to popup layer and gave it the name of pdf_popup.

In my flash button I put this in the Link holder:
    javascript:window.open(document.getElementById('pd f_popup').href,'_self')

Tried it and it did nothing.

Do you think we can get it to work? It would sure solve all of my problems if so...
    RaZzLE

It's possible that you can't run script from Flash link.
    To make sure, insert following as the link in your flash button, export and click it:
    Code:
    javascript:alert('Hello world!')
    It should popup the notification box with Hello world text in it. If it doesn't, then forget about it, we can do nothing.
    John.

John,

I put the code that you stated in the menu and when clicked a get the "Hello World!" popup alert.

Now that we know that works, any ideas on the other??
    RaZzLE

Try this:
    Code:
    javascript:window.open(document.getElementById('my_popup').href,'_top')
    John.

John,

I tried the code and it sends the browser to blank page and displays "[object]"

Any other ideas? or anything else I can try?

P.S.
    My flash program already has a place for the window to open, it has a drop down with _self, _parent, and some others, so what would be the code with out the "_top" part in it?
    Last edited by razzle0146; 12 June 2009 at 10:06 PM.
    RaZzLE