Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug Structuring a website

Hi,

I'm new here, so I apologize in advance if this is obvious!

I have a website that I'm working on that wants to be structured hierarchically...

I sell various categories of products, I give various categories of classes, etc.,
    I've got one page per product or class.

Right now, I've got all my pages in one big (and getting bigger) website.

I'd like to split out the pages into various .web files, as reflected by the categories. I have a pretty good idea how to do this, but my dilemma is this:

How do I maintain all the repeating objects (that is, the main menu, header graphics, etc) over all the different web files? If I need to change the main menu for instance, or other stuff that's common to all pages, is there a way to have that change reflected in all the different .web files that are part of this project?

I don't want to use frames, as it's my understanding that they are detrimental when it comes to SEO.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jean

Default Re: Structuring a website

My suggestion would be to make separate page for each Catagory/Class, then use Arrange> update repeating objects, this up dates the changes made.
    Jim

Nearly the same problem was already discussed here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=38652

Hi Remi,

I'd seen that thread, but it doesn't quite do the trick. Each page has content (both text and pictures, links, flash, etc.) that I want to "hand craft"... so pulling the bits and pieces from a database or putting them all into a jpg or pdf won't let me individualize the page as I'd like to do. My current website is all database driven, and I'm trying to use Xara to redo it and "jazz it up a bit".

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    My suggestion would be to make separate page for each Catagory/Class, then use Arrange> update repeating objects, this up dates the changes made.
    Jim
    Thanks Scotty, That's how I have it now, but as the offerings multiply, this website will grow to be pretty big. I've only got about 30 pages in it now, and its starting to get tough to manage. And, I've got a lot more to do!

And, its taking longer and longer to export and upload......