Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug Bug? - Duplicate tool, Key shortcut change with Clear Mask

I was working my way through a recent Xara Xone Tutorial called Reinventing the Apple using the newly released Xara Xtreme Pro 5. In this tutorial there are multiple Duplicate operations required for the background hole pattern. Here's where what should have been a few quick Ctrl+D keystrokes took a turn for the weird.

After pressing the Ctrl+D key combo several times, and noticing that nothing seemed to be happening, I decided to investigate. A quick perusal of the Customize key shortcuts list revealed that the default key combo for Duplicate had been changed to Ctrl+Alt+D, while Ctrl+D had been reassigned to the new Clear Mask function. I quickly swapped the key shortcuts back and proceeded to finish the tutorial in a jiffy.

After finishing I went back to check XXP5's help file entry for Key shortcuts and discovered that it shows Ctrl+D as being incorrectly assigned to both tools. See attached screen capture clips.

So, in short:

1. Duplicate key shortcut needs to be reassigned to Ctrl+D
    2. Clear Mask key shortcut needs to be set to Ctrl+Alt+D
    3. Xara Xtreme Pro 5 Help File needs to be updated to reflect the above key combos

I suspect that the new Xtreme 5 version may also need to be updated to correct the same Key shortcut changes and Help File entries.

Hopefully, this will help others trying to use the Duplicate & Clear Mask functions before the updates are made.

Thanks for listening,
    Harry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XXP5 Key Shortcuts Swap and Duplication.png 
Views:	264 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	62141  

Default Re: Bug? - Duplicate tool, Key shortcut change with Clear Mask

Yes the help file hasn't been updated.
    I believe this error is known already though.

Duplicate was changed to Ctrl+Alt+D so that deleting the mask could use Ctrl+D, this is inline with other graphics apps that use a mask or selection marquee (marching ants..)

It seems a strange move for people more used to vector apps, Ctrl+D has always been the keys to 'duplicate' a selected object in Vector apps. Though people migrating from Raster apps will feel more at home (Xara's target audience no doubt)
    To be fair, since I learned right-click+drag for duplication (which is actually faster and more accurate when combined with the ctrl key), I never used ctrl+D much in Xtreme again.

Default Re: Bug? - Duplicate tool, Key shortcut change with Clear Mask

Steve,

Thanks for the explanation, though, for now, I'm leaving my key shortcut changes stand. I usually use the Right-click+drag-click method, also, but every now and then resort to the Duplicate tool using Ctrl-D. Anyway, I'll use it a whole lot more that way than to clear a mask. A clearable pop-up message notifying the user of the key shortcut change would have been nice.