Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vector Spirals

Default Re: Vector Spirals

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    And, Harry, in the post you cite, I wasn't recommending the use of the QuickShape tool. I was using it as a way to provide other information. Regardless, the QuickShape tool has been part of the interface at least since CorelXara. Comparing Xtreme's toolkit to those in other graphics and DTP apps I use, I would consider the QuickShapes tool a fundamental.
    Allison,

I humbly apologize for the misquote from one of your previous posts.

I still don't see where a 'Create Spirals' function integrated into the QuickShape Tool is that big of a deal to the user interface and code size. Of all the improvements and additions that have been done since I started using Xara Xtreme 3.2, I would think that the addition of some code to generate Spirals would be but a drop in the bucket. Although, from what you say, you seem to think it may be the straw that'll break the camel's back. Also, if I can extrapolate from your quote shown above, if a Spiral Tool was included, in some form, in CorelXara's interface it would be OK to have. But, since it wasn't, we can't have it considered for inclusion now?

I'll go with the 'we'll agree to disagree' and move on to creating another stereogram, or two, with XX. And I'll console myself with the point that Dmitry made, "...they haven't enough resources to implement such a low priority feature." Sometimes, even though there are bigger fish to fry, it's nice to make a nice Jello® Salad (ie.- something that looks nice, is easy to whip together, isn't very filling, and keeps the kids quiet for a short period of time .

A good debate,
    Harry

Then again, you can always scrap the whole thing and waste some time with Xara Xtreme making your own shaped spirals. It's a bit tedious, but it works!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butterfly Spiral.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	62256  

What I can say?
    Just give us a tool -- we would find a way how to use it!
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

We'll you could always create and export a vector Spiral QuickShape from V4 of a competitor's program. This version is currently available for download absolutely FREE, I might add. There's also a slew of other vector QuickShapes available to play with all ready to export in WMF vector format.

It was brought up by Salaam and discussed a while back in Arif's Spirals... thread. CorelDRAW, Inkscape, DrawPlus, Illustrator and other applications have all been able to generate spirals for some time now. The question is, why can't we do the same, or better, in Xtreme? It would also help placate the "Where are all of the new vector vector tools we've been waiting for" users.

Just a thought (or two),
    Harry

Name:	Imported Serif DrawPlus4 Spiral QuickShape.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	62391  

Just use pen tool.

A warm welcome to TalkGraphics to you, from me, damoworks!

Quote Originally Posted by damoworks View Post
    Just use pen tool.
    OK, sure.

Actually, I used the Ellipse Tool (L) and the Shape Editor Tool (F4) to create the shaped spiral in post #22. As I said, it was very tedious.

If you're up to it, I'd like for you to post your method of using the pen tool to create a nice looking spiral similar to that produced by accessD's SPX-E Utility or the one shown in post #24 that I made using another program. I'm always willing to learn a new Xara Xtreme technique.

Looking forward to more posts from you,
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by accessD View Post
    BTW, Xara team agrees that spirals would be nice addition to Quick Shapes tool, but as I understood, they haven't enough resources to implement such a low priority feature.

From my side, unfortunately, I have no enough skills to implement it in C++ and integrate into Xara code.

So, I think in this situation SPX-E is a quite good solution.
    No, spirals should be a very high priority feature as its a much used basic shape in 2d design. It should also be quite simple to implement.

The lack of such a basic thing is not good imo.

I don't want to have to search for a free app and start it only to create spirals. Who knows perhaps the spiral generator wont work on the next windows?

The other problem with importing spirals is that you can no longer change their properties.

In what way do you mean "you can no longer change their properties."?
    They import or drag and drop into Xara Xtreme as .eps files, and once you have the basic spiral shape that you want in the spxe program,
    you can pretty much customise to your heart's content as they are vectors.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	spiral.png 
Views:	291 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	63394  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I think he means that you can't change the properties of the spiral itself - like number of turns or how open it is .....
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi Keith, that's why I said "...once you have the basic spiral shape that you want in the spxe program".
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.