Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: want cmyk support

+1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by the_cat View Post
    Till then we will use the trials to see what new is there but we wont buy any copy of the product!
    Most professionals find a way
    Have a look at Minimro's posts and work - he's a professional who uses Xtreme and works with CMYK.
    Also, Charles Moir (Xara CEO) has often written about CMYK here.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...3&postcount=27

Wish his tips and tricks for CMYK could be consilidated into one document and perhaps illustrated graphically where needed.

It would have been a great thing to have put onto the CDs.

Reading this thread, I am wondering:
    (1) Is XtremePro 5 better at CMYK? Those calls for better CMYK support apply even after the release of the latest version, right?
    (2) What exactly is missing for Xara to offer "full CMYK support"?
    (3) Doesn't exporting as PDF/X+ and embedding a color profile give good results?

To answer your question is quite simple in XPro you work in RGB colour and then when you export as a PDF the colours which were in RGB get converted to CMYK. What does this mean to you? well some colours like maroons, purples and dark greens come out different and washed out. To over come this you have in your Windows menu, Simulate Printers Colour which gives an approx. of what it will look like exported. What everyone is asking here is for the same as many other programmes allow to select the colour profile you are working in RGB or CMYK and what you see in the screen is what you get from a wet copy when it gets printed. As I said before what we have at the moment is only an approx. of what it is going to look like. If you develop your own standard palette you can quite easily predict how your wet print is going to look but this comes with experience and this thread people are asking to take the guess work out of sending you work to the printer. After you export your work if you have an PDF reader in your system you will see your output.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Dear developers, in a new Xtreme PRO version it could be perfect to see some functions which are really important for printers. Such as:

1. Complete support of CMYK colors, the appearance of CMYK Color Line would be also important and a possibility to set it up by default

2. In function Create Bitmap Copy, the support of CMYK is also required

3. It's preferable, when you switch on the Simulate Print Color, that colors were more similar to colors of Photoshop and Illustrator
    www.aciden.ru
    . .. ...:.::.:::: art is a lie...that makes us realize the truth ::::.::.:... .. .

Accurate color is messy.

Here's an approach that works -- most of the time.

The attached XAR file shows a bunch of color boxes. If you make a test print from the file on the same printer that your job will run on, then you can hold the test print next to your screen to see the difference between your screen color and the actual print color. So at least you'll get an accurate look at how any given color will actually print... on that printer, on that day. After you make the test print, write the date, printer name, and check the CMYK box or RGB box depending what kind of printer it is.

You can go round and round worrying about CMYK color, RGB color, screen calibrating, whatever. But for most things, slight color variations don't matter much... except for people and food, where neither should ever have a green color cast.

And always have the printer run a proof sample for you to approve... and to keep to check the job against later if there are problems.

Hope this helps, Jon
    Attached Files Attached Files

Followup to my previous post... noticed that the color codes for the boxes in the XAR file were inaccurate, as I had brought in a JPG from an old Illustrator file to start with.

Remade the file in Xara, see attached below, and also a PDF of it, where the colors are keeping the correct values...

Jon
    Attached Files Attached Files

CMYK output in Xara is a shot in the dark. I'm happy with the results I get most of the time, but it's only by my experience that I know what I'm going to get. If you have to work with other designers on other platforms in other applications, XP5 really has some distance to go with CMYK. I would put True support, not work arounds, for this at the top of my list. Count me in!

+1

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Lightbulb Re: want cmyk support

CMYK support - now!

+1