Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.1 beta

painter 6.1 beta for anyone to try

http://www.corel.com/support/ftpsite...beta/index.htm
    IP

painter 6.1 beta for anyone to try

http://www.corel.com/support/ftpsite...beta/index.htm
    IP

the first thing i tried out with the update was whether or not they had fixed the annoying circumference artifact left by a selection. to test i painted impasto texture on the canvas, m-wanded the unpainted part, inverted selection so that only the impast o was the 'positive' select, select>float. now with a new layer only consisting of the impasto texture i applied effects>objects>drop shadow. the shadow was tight! no 1 pixel remnant of the canvas highlighting the floater's edges! back to work...

stecyk66 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]D
    IP

Stecyk66,

That was great of you to take the time and test that. .. and even greater that you paused to share the report with us!

Thanks

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hi Stecyk66,
    Thanks for the info. I think I will pass for a while. My Soup Cooker and Painter are working better than they have in months and I don't want to mess things up. I don't feel like a Pioneer right now. I have been trying for a week to get a high speed cable modem connection running. Not having much luck with the @Home people.

Regards
    Greg
    IP

Gee ... I thought "oh neat I'll be able to try a Corel product" ... but it's a patch and you need to own Painter. I just can't understand Corel ... why don't they offer trial versions of most of their software. I will never buy anything I can't try before hand so I guess this is one more Corel product I won't buy (even though I couldn't afford it now anyway ... but maybe down the road I could). Can anyone answer me why Corel is so reluctant to offer some sort of downloadable demos for things like Painter and Corel Draw ... I might be a future customer but not if I can't find out how the programs feel. (sorry to sound negative but I really would like to try Corel products and I'm sure I would find them very good)

DK [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi,

I'm not affiliated with the site mentioned below in any way except that it's part of what I describe as the larger Painter Community and only pass this on because it's helped a lot of people have a chance to try out Painter without spending a lot of money.

Although it's not without some expense, there's a way you can not only try Painter but own a full version. That is, if you buy either Jungle2D or Jungle3D from DigArts, you can get a free copy of Painter 5.5. The cost for Jungle2D or Jungle3D, I believe, is around $80. These two CDs contain plant life, trees, etc. that can be used in Painter and/or 3D programs such as Bryce.

I've written to Corel to learn if one can upgrade from this version (the PCFormat Magazine Painter 5.5 which is what DigArts is including with a purchase of their software). The last I heard was that they weren't sure what the next upgrade plan would include.

In any case, whether or not you'd be able to upgrade from this Painter 5.5 to Painter 6, you'd have a full version of Painter to play with plus the plant life CD which is fun to use. Since Painter is going for $399 at full price, this seems like a very good deal to me.

The URL for DigArts is:

http://www.gardenhose.com

Good luck, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny..

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Beware of saving ANYTHING as JPG in Corels 6.1 Beta. It seems to save the preview correctly but then goes on to create a zero byte JPG file. If you previously had created it - it'll be completely hosed when you save it. There is not way to recover it either. I find it amazing that they'd release even a beta with this type of glaring problem.
    IP

Hi everyone!

Corel is aware of the JPG/0 kb problem and they're working to fix it.

This Beta patch is released so that those of us who use Painter can test it and give them feedback, which is what a lot of Painter users are doing.

Other known problems are that the nozzles don't retain transparency. There are workarounds for this problem but that's just a nuisance and Corel will surely fix this other glaring problem.

No one has to participate, and I'm one who isn't because I don't have time to fiddle with it. Thank heavens that some people are helping Corel this way. After all, we Painter users are great at complaining. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Painter 6.0.3 works very well, so anyone who doesn't want to fiddle with the 6.1 patch should be reasonably happy in the meantime, before it's past Beta and working better.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    IP

Hi again,

On the subject of halos around selections:

They can be eliminated, or not show, if the selection is made over the color over which the final floating object will be placed.

In other words, if we make a selection on a white canvas, for instance, then float it over a black background, the feathered pixels around the edges will contrast against the black.. and look pretty bad.

However, if the selection is made on a black Canvas, for instance, then the object is floated over a black background, the feathered edge pixels won't show.

After all, feathering blends the objects color with the color from which the selection is made.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    IP