Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default images and Layers are reassigning themselves

Ok, something I've noticed in multiple projects I've tried. Everytime I bring in an image, placing it into a new layer or a current layer with 'like documents'... Sometimes I move the image I've brought in around... or resize it... or tweak it, or Move to Back or whatever.... sometimes I shift the layer to a new place or whatever. (also the Move to back, move backwards, move forwards, move to front... these options really don't work right either) I find myself selecting image & layer I would like to move around... resorting them in the layer stacking order.... trying to send images front or back if they are on top of something else, and this too is something the program is having a very hard time doing. I find myself clicking a bazillion times both back or forward options until one sticks (usually around the 6-12 time clicked).

It doesn't fail though, no mater what I do, EVERY single image I bring into the document within it's own layer or not, ALWAYS ends up shifting layers. I notice this because I sometimes make the layer invisible while working only to find an object/image I placed in a different layer is now attached to that layer (when the layer was never selected when the original file was placed). And no the items are no longer 'Soft Grouped' or anything like that... it just mucks it up.
    I always make sure that the layer is selected that I want to bring in a new document or assign a document (image) to. But it just won't stick.

I like the program... but this whole imaging thing is a mess... I cannot seem to keep any document/image/png/jpg/gif/seperated or on the same layer or in a new layer.... I cannot keep it assigned to Any layer that I assign it to. IT is getting SO Frustrating because I keep having to copy & paste the intended images or place a new image into a new layer & then delete the old because I am trying to attempt to know which layer & image is what and with all these random reassignments the program is making. I cannot seem to keep things straight. And I am getting tired of constantly deleting and making new layers and having to reimport new images everytime I work on a project.
    ugh...

oh and by the way, I am still trying to trouble shoot this & be very cautious every time I toss in a new image onto a layer or into my project. Just thought I'd mention that :P

Is it just me or are others having the same issue with layer images reassigning themselves to whatever they like? Any thoughts?

~
    Last edited by Eyescream; 08 June 2009 at 02:07 PM.

Default Re: images and Layers are reassigning themselves

Haven't had that sort of issue, but sometimes it's hard to tell where something is and if it's on a layer that is above another layer in the stacking oredr, even if you send the object to the back, it only goes to the back of the current layer. If that layer is on top of a layer below, it will look like the image refuses to move back, when it is actually at the back of the layers it's on, but that layer is in front of another layer, so the pic seems to still float on top.

For what it's worth, the new object gallery in Xtreme Pro 5 REALLY helps with this. Too bad it wasn't/isn't available in XWD, as xxtreme5pro is a but expensive, especially if you are trying to figure out if the web designer stuff is your cup of tea or not. You should check out the demo (and my little video about the new Object Gallery here: www.technicalrs.com/XaraStuff)

Nice video, Scott, thanks.

Hi Slaville,
    i had a similar problem with layers and it is VERY confusing.
    I brought into my page one of the photo pop-ups from the design gallery. It got messed up somehow so I selected it and deleted. i then brought in the same pop-up into the same pace on the page again - this time it was really messed up so I deleted and tried a third time. Same mess up.
    Come to look at the layers and lo and behold I have 3 times as many layers as I should have. When I delete it seems to leave the original layers in place and when you put another copy in place the previous layers cock everything up! You can click on two different thumbnails and the same image shows up for both thumbnails.
    I know that there must be a way of deleting the entire design but I haven't found it yet. You can use outline view but if you happen to have place the second and/or third copy exactly over the first you won't be able to spot the extra frames - only the layer dialogue tells you that bits were left over after deletion.
    I love the program but the layers thing does need some work.
    best regards,
    Peter