Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am having problems with sun and shadows in this picture.

This photo was taken in Gettysburg. I love the fences. In this photo, when I shot it it was great. When I got home, this is what I found. I have Corel X2. The second photo is with some work. I know you all do great work so I am asking for your help. How can I make it better between the sun and shadows?
    Thank you,
    Joe M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0602.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	62059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0602a.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	62060  

Last edited by Joe M; 07 June 2009 at 03:32 AM.
    IP

Default Re: I am having problems with sun and shadows in this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
    How can I make it better between the sun and shadows?
    Joe M
    Joe, I'm assuming you've tried X2's automatic tools, including one-step photo fix, fill flash and backlighting.

I've taken your photo and used three other tools for quick and dirty changes. I like to use the layer adjustments when possible. I always work on a copy of the background when making changes.

Test 1
    1. Duplicate background
    2. Layer>Adjustment Layer>Levels
    3. Move Middle adjustment on Channel graph to 76
    4. High Pass Sharpen: Radius 2.00, Strength 50, Blend Mode: Hard light

http://imgur.com/GuZXU.jpg

Test 2
    1. Duplicate background
    2. Layer>Adjustment Layer>Curves
    3. Adjust curve to increase detail in shadow area
    3. High Pass Sharpen: Radius 2.00, Strength 50, Blend Mode: Hard light

http://imgur.com/9FLLK.jpg

Test 3
    1. Duplicate background
    2. Open Black and White Points (from customize)
    3. Select white, gray and black points

(Black and White Points is a legacy action from earlier versions of PSP. You can add it to one of your toolbars by using customize option.)

http://imgur.com/QSYyy.jpg

Another option for future shoots with similar lighting situations is to bracket exposures. Then in X2, use the HDR Photo Merge tool.

The X2 Learning Center (on and off with F10) can help you get familiar with some of the PSP X2 tools.

Hope this helps.

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.
    IP

Joe,

A warm welcome to TalkGraphics.

I have an older version of Jasc Paint Shop Pro and will fire it up in a minute to see what I can do. In the mean time, I read your tag line and noticed you had Xara Xtreme Pro 5. So, seeing that I already had my copy of XXP5 open I spent about 2 minutes playing around with your photo in the Photo Tool (P) and came up with this retouched image. I made a copy of it, dropped the white color from the color line onto it to convert it to a B&W photo, and liked it even more. Give it a try if you want, or not. I'll pop on over to PSP and give it another go.

Just thinkin' outside the program,
    Harry

Once again, I'm an idiot (sound of me kicking myself repeatedly, goes here). It was OldRadioGuy's tag line that showed that he had XXP5. Ignore almost everything I said and move along with what ORG was telling you to do.

Name:	Gettysburg_XXP5_Retouched.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	62853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gettysburg_XXP5_Retouched_BW.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	62854  

Last edited by HayTay; 28 June 2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot, once again. Forty lashes with a wet noodle for me.
    IP

OK, after about a half hour of playing around with Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7 (don't laugh too hard, now) I've come up with the following retouched photo. It still looks washed out to me, though, and I'll spend some more time trying to correct the colors, later, maybe. I think it's a lot better than the dark photo in your OP, but I'll let you be the judge.

Here's the tools/steps I used to get it this far:

1. Auto-enhance Contrast
    2. Adjust Color Balance
    3. Adjust Levels
    4. Sharpen More

I'm sure Corel PSP X2 has come a long way since version 7 so I would expect better results given what you have to work with. It definitely is do-able, though.

BTW, I thank whoever decided to put the ability to review the Command History in this application. I would have never remembered the tools I used to produce the results shown here without it.

Cheers,
    Harry

Name:	Gettysburg_JPSP7_Retouched.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	62855  
    IP

I don't have a solution to your request. I just wanted to post a sample done in Xara Xtreme 5.1, all the manipulations of the image were done using your original image and applying different types of transparencies.

First the image was cloned then a Linear bleach transparency was used to lighten the fence.
    Second another clone was used with Linear Stained Glass Transparency to darken the sky.
    Third another clone with dark cyan applied as Contone Light then an elliptical transparency to add color to the sky.

Name:	0602b.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	62887  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Yes this is an easy fix with Xtreme's clone and linear transparency tool.

Clone, adjust brightness, apply diagonal linear transparency from bottom right corner.
    This retains the original exposure of the top left area and gives a far more natural exposure graduation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xtreme-exposure-trick.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	62903

Download Xtreme 5 trial.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
    I have Corel X2. ... How can I make it better between the sun and shadows?
    Thank you,
    Joe M
    Joe, in my earlier recommended alternatives to try in X2, I had assumed you tested both of the automatic fix tools available in that application.

Since the other tips that followed use a workaround in Xara and just in case you didn't try One Step Photo Fix or Smart Photo Fix in PSP, here's your original redone in Smart Photo Fix.

I used the Brighten Shadows adjustment to bring out greater detail in the shadow area than the default recommendation of the tool. Pretty simple in PSP X2.

http://imgur.com/ILxTX.jpg

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.
    IP

I don't know what Joe thinks yet, but I'm totally impressed by all the solutions. So many ways to achieve a similar result. I don't have to toss those dark photos anymore.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?
    IP

Hello everyone, I thank you all for your help. I am sorry but I don't know what Xara Xtreme 5.1 is. It looked cool. Any help would be great. I have been out for a week and I am back. I will be working on the help you all sent.
    Joe M
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by OldRadioGuy View Post
    Joe, I'm assuming you've tried X2's automatic tools, including one-step photo fix, fill flash and backlighting.

I've taken your photo and used three other tools for quick and dirty changes. I like to use the layer adjustments when possible. I always work on a copy of the background when making changes.

Test 1
    1. Duplicate background
    2. Layer>Adjustment Layer>Levels
    3. Move Middle adjustment on Channel graph to 76

http://imgur.com/GuZXU.jpg

Test 2
    1. Duplicate background
    2. Layer>Adjustment Layer>Curves
    3. Adjust curve to increase detail in shadow area
    3. High Pass Sharpen: Radius 2.00, Strength 50, Blend Mode: Hard light

http://imgur.com/9FLLK.jpg

Test 3
    1. Duplicate background
    2. Open Black and White Points (from customize)
    3. Select white, gray and black points

(Black and White Points is a legacy action from earlier versions of PSP. You can add it to one of your toolbars by using customize option.)

http://imgur.com/QSYyy.jpg

Another option for future shoots with similar lighting situations is to bracket exposures. Then in X2, use the HDR Photo Merge tool.

The X2 Learning Center (on and off with F10) can help you get familiar with some of the PSP X2 tools.

Hope this helps.
    Hello OldRadioGuy, the 3rd test was the 1st I tried and it was great. I learned alot. I will be learning everything you all sent.

Thank you all,
    Joe M
    IP