Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Hybrid View

Here is a recent arrival to the contest. Just wanted to add this to the existing collection.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

Ed,

I'm with gregraphic on this one. The symbols are so well used, and fused in to people's consciousness that no matter what you do with them... people will think gender issues of some sort (and not bowling or Canada.)
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ross Macintosh:
    Ed - Am I correct in understanding that the logo will be for your local WECKBA (Windsor Essex Chatham Kent Bowling Association)and not some national body? I found your initial explanation a little confusing.

Am I also correct in understanding WECKBA covers only ten-pin bowling and that you don't use the balls with the finger holes? (we ain't all bowlers here! ) I mention the 'no holes' because that might well be relevant in logo designs.

Besides bowlers and their fancy shoes, is there anything distinctive about the Windsor-Essex-Chatham-Kent area that might influence a logo design?

Regards, Ross (de-sensitized by beer) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question Ross... Your right on all counts including the stereotype except for one... ten pin bowling DOES use holes. Generally 2 finger holes and one thumb hole

Bowling does suffer from an image problem, we all agree, but we would not want the bad stuff reflected in the logo. Actually over time we've been cleaning up our act. So no beer cans please LOL!

We're located in the most Souther part of Ontario and in Canada for that matter which is the only unique part I can think of. We do have Canadian record holders and most all the top honour score holders are from southern Ontario.

The WECKBA is the most southernly area (next door to Detroit Mich., one of the largest Associations in North America) and does not include Niagara / Toronto / Montreal areas which are all further north.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

AntonyF... I'm fine with leaving the thread as is. The guys had came up with some good questions which I hope I've now been answered. They also had some fair criticism and I believe this too was addressed. I have no problem with either viewpoint.

If there are any other questions or comments then I'll do my best to answer those as well.

I'll keep checking here as time passes.

Good Luck to everyone and enjoy the challenge/competition.

Feel free to ask your questions here in the forum any time you need to. If you feel you want to PM me then go ahead. No Problem! If you want to contact me directly (webmaster@canbowl.com) then that is fine too.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ross Macintosh:
    Ed - In your existing logo I see a rose. Any significance to that? What is the part of the logo with the green background?

It was fun looking around your bowling website. Congradulations on your induction to the Ontario Sports Hall of Fame! That is quite a recognition of your contributions to your sport. Nice to see your pic too -- you aren't even scary looking!

Is there a better image of the existing logo that you could post here?

Regards, Ross <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH WOW you notice that about me! Thanks indeed. The official ceremonies are in the Fall. In fact I was inducted into the Ontario Provincial HOF in May and less than two months later, made it into our local Association. I also hold a Canadian record for a 278 Triplicate.

Regarding the Rose... you are very observant! I think it has to do with Windsor the fact that our city is know as "the Rose City" most likely due to the downtown Dieppe Park/Gardens. This is an awesome city run park with a wonderfully exquisite display of roses in the spring. It's replanted with lots of other great plants during the rest of the year. Here is a link to one of the tourism pages... http://www.visitwindsor.com/main.htm
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

My two cents (that's $.02 US).

Right idea ... wrong forum. I'm not "offended" by the "competition" because ED has been around awhile ... and I don't believe he is trying to "abuse the priviledge" by offering some remuneration for a winning design. This is a "BOWLING association" ... and those of us who have been involved in the past know how little budget these clubs have to play with. He could have just done the logo himself ... or could have gone to a local designer (I'm sure he knows a few) ... but he didn't. He came to the place where graphics are "fun and appreciated" to involve some "friends" in the process.

Is there any harm in that? I might have done the same thing ... only after hearing the responses here, I'll be sure to keep it to myself in the future ... wouldn't want to "offend" any of the sensitive types around here
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>OklaEd: I'm not "offended" by the "competition" because ED has been around awhile ... and I don't believe he is trying to "abuse the priviledge" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    --- I'm confident that no one was "offended"... I'm also sure that everyone knows ED was not trying to "abuse the priviledge"... I'm postive everyone knows that his intentions were good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>OklaEd: <snip> wouldn't want to "offend" any of the sensitive types around here <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    --- I haven't come across any of those "sensitive types" in my 4 years here at the Xara related boards?

OklaEd, if look at Jens' and Romans' post (and all in between), I think you will get an idea of some of the reservations some of us might have of posts of this kind.
    IP

ok..here's what I think...your original "logo" (which would have originally been your "crest")has a lot of history associated with it..don't throw it away for some flashy new image..you'll be sorry for it, if not today, tomorrow, eventually. Try and keep some of your history in your new design, all these "crests" that were designed years ago mostly followed a formulae. The designer would usually pick out a few "icons" of the local area and incorporate that into the design. That is what the "rose" and the whatever they are..lighthouses? chimney stacks? 2 alleys?...they'll be something related to the area your in. One thing I think is wrong with your crest is that the lettering is running downhill...it should run uphill...(downhill is a negative, uphill is a positive)
    The shield and scroll go way, way back...but these days look a bit dated. You can have a very intricate design..but as you'll see on your original crest, if it's to be enamelled it must have a metal outline around and between different colours. These lines are where the engraving bit has machined into the die.
    To answer your question...I have converted a lot of logo designs to artwork which is suitable to be die-struck. What I have always done in the past for associations such as yours is to do three versions of the same logo...one for printed materials in colour..maybe with a drop shadow or highlights etc...one black and white...for faxing, t-shirt logo etc and then one to be made into a die, for badges, plaques etc. BUT they have to be instantly recognisable as the same logo without question. This is where good design and designers come into play. Some of the most colourful logos and designs I've ever seen are in black and white.

Happy to answer any questions you have, so ask, ask away....
    IP

Ross' design is really coming together..as far as useability for die-making, engraving, printing in full and two colour it can't be faulted on my part...really good work, I like it.
    IP

Hi guys and gals... I've been a member here for quit a while. Anyone remember Xara 1.0. Anyway I've seen the people here step up to this kind of challenge before.

Our Bowling Association, not unlike all North American Associations, are moving to a SMO (Single Membership Organization. In the past, support organization for Bowling were divided into three (3) separate groups. The ABC (American Bowling Congress), the WIBC (Womens International Bowling Congress) and the YABA (Young American Bowling Alliance). All these organizations generally will be under one single membership organization in the United States.

Our Association, being in Canada, has joined forces with the CTF (Canadian Tenpin Federation) for our service headquarters. Our Local Association will now be one SMO. We'll be known as WECKBA (Windsor Essex Chatham Kent Bowling Association)

We're looking for a new Logo!

For our old logo and additional information, see http://canbowl.com

We're offering a $100.00 (Canadian funds) first place prize for the best logo design. Enter as often as you like by submitting as many different designs as you wish.

I've got a PayPal account so I suspect we'll be paying this way using the current exchange rate at that time. Right now it seems to be a little over $75.00 US funds.

So why not give it a shot. Based on the four we already have, your already in first place with anything close to what I've seen possible here.

Finally... I'll be monitoring this forum (as usual) and I can answer any of your questions you may have.

Thanks, Good Luck! and enjoy the fun!

Ed

Oh... by the way, I just got my copy of X1 yesterday! Hip Hip!!
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP