Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ed - what is the graphic on the part with the caustic green background. Looks like those little landscape lights folks use in their gardens. What do they have to do with WEKCBA/WECKBA?

Regards, Ross <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ross,

Those are grain sheaves. Way back before Xara, when everything was in black and white, farmers would harvest grain and then stack it upright to dry in bundles or sheaves... I know, you're not old enough to remember

Marc
    IP

ok..here's what I think...your original "logo" (which would have originally been your "crest")has a lot of history associated with it..don't throw it away for some flashy new image..you'll be sorry for it, if not today, tomorrow, eventually. Try and keep some of your history in your new design, all these "crests" that were designed years ago mostly followed a formulae. The designer would usually pick out a few "icons" of the local area and incorporate that into the design. That is what the "rose" and the whatever they are..lighthouses? chimney stacks? 2 alleys?...they'll be something related to the area your in. One thing I think is wrong with your crest is that the lettering is running downhill...it should run uphill...(downhill is a negative, uphill is a positive)
    The shield and scroll go way, way back...but these days look a bit dated. You can have a very intricate design..but as you'll see on your original crest, if it's to be enamelled it must have a metal outline around and between different colours. These lines are where the engraving bit has machined into the die.
    To answer your question...I have converted a lot of logo designs to artwork which is suitable to be die-struck. What I have always done in the past for associations such as yours is to do three versions of the same logo...one for printed materials in colour..maybe with a drop shadow or highlights etc...one black and white...for faxing, t-shirt logo etc and then one to be made into a die, for badges, plaques etc. BUT they have to be instantly recognisable as the same logo without question. This is where good design and designers come into play. Some of the most colourful logos and designs I've ever seen are in black and white.

Happy to answer any questions you have, so ask, ask away....
    IP

Magi is right..they are sheaves (of wheat I think...I've seen a lot better!)..symbols like these go way back...this symbolises "prosperity"
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Gregraphic - I very much agree with your points. That is why I was pressing to have a better quality image of the existing crest. My hope was it could be modestly updated whilst maintaing some of their traditions. I think I'll still have a go at it...

Magi - I too thought they might be sheaves of grain. I was only joking when I called them landscape lights. If you look at my profile you'll see I was born in 1904 - I may be older than you thought. In my youth I did help my cousins 'making hay' in rural Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia Canada). We didn't have to make sheaves but we did have to fork the hey up into a hay wagon. It was hard, dusty, and hot work.

Regards, Ross
    IP

Gregraphic hit the nail on the head, updating maybe all that's required.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...was hard, dusty, and hot work <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ross, you just reminded me why I got my first computer...

1904 eh! I guess you've joined that small group of Canadian centenaries that receive birthday greetings from the PM

Marc
    IP

I've just had some fun making a 'pin' version of my logo. As well I've shown how it could look in simple b&w. I thought about rendering it as an embroidered design but my but is getting sore from sitting at the computer too long...

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weckba2.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	12628  
    IP

And here's the WECKBA undershirt that is so popular with the young bowlers...

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	undershirt.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	10360  
    IP

Ross' design is really coming together..as far as useability for die-making, engraving, printing in full and two colour it can't be faulted on my part...really good work, I like it.
    IP

Some history, additional information and some food for thought.

The sport of bowling goes back to the early 1900's beginning in 1901 where the first ABC (American Bowling Congress)Tournament was held on just 6 lanes. Now it takes aprox. a half year, 16hrs per day, 7 days a week to accommodate all the Tournament entries every year.

Since this time the ABC has been an all male association. Over this 103 year time period there has always been a separation between the men (ABC) the women (WIBC) and the youth bowlers (YABA)

This year (2004) will mark an extremely significant change in bowling history for all of North America... the fact that these three groups are becoming one. 2004 will forever be known as the merger of these three groups into one SMO (Single Membership Organization). This had to be done strictly for financial survival.

I was previously asked if there was anything that might influence the logo design and at that time I could not think of something. Now, in hindsight, this seems to me to be something significant.

In the past the men's association only served the adult male bowlers. The same goes for the women and the juniors. Now we are a Single Membership Organization(SMO) serving all of Bowling no matter what the age or sex.

So how to capture/project this concept in a logo? I think it's worth consideration but I'm not sure how to approach it or what to suggest.

Any ideas on this question?
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

how About 3 bowlers; Male, female and Kid. Kid bowling down the center, Male on one side, female on the other.
    John/DOT
    IP