Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Ed - In your existing logo I see a rose. Any significance to that? What is the part of the logo with the green background?

It was fun looking around your bowling website. Congradulations on your induction to the Ontario Sports Hall of Fame! That is quite a recognition of your contributions to your sport. Nice to see your pic too -- you aren't even scary looking!

Is there a better image of the existing logo that you could post here?

Regards, Ross
    IP

Here's my perspective as a non-designer in this forum: lighten up, you professionals. If you're offended by the small amount being offered for a small organization such as this, you can simply choose not to participate and let us non-professionals take a crack at it.

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
    Having said that, we don't have any firm policy on such things like this. I'd need to speak to people like Gary off list. But I don't think we'd want the forum to become a place for competitions every few minutes so that companies can get cheap work (I'll count Xara logos as something a bit different, as you are after all dedicated Xara product users ).

But ED, how about more info? Namely is the organisation not-for-profit? What does it do? And why should people want to do the logo for you?

And will give you the author credit on your website?

We'll then make any decision accordingly after ED has replied. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi guys... OK, there was some missing info I did not think about adding here. Good Points!

Yes.. we are a NON PROFIT voluntary service. The only guy that gets paid is the Association Secretary for doing all the areas and all the leagues sanctioning, awards etc. All the dues money that comes in pretty much most of it goes to the headquarters for membership costs. We get to retain enough to cover expenses. Many of us, not unlike other bowling associations, provide voluntary services and even choose to take money out of our own pockets to help the cause of and to promotion of bowling in our area.

If I was approached by some business to do a logo I too would not be bothered for this kind of fee, so I understand those on this side of the fence.

It's true, I've been here longer than most and have never asked for anything up until now. In fact you'll see my posts have been all associated with helping others out of the willingness to do so. But this has always been a two way street. I've learned a lot here too!

Regarding credit for the Author... Yes indeed and I'd like a picture of the winner to add with the announcement I'll do up. The Board members (me and others) along with our sanctioned membership will make the final choice. I'll be setting up a poll to aid in the selection, elimination, and final choice process.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ross Macintosh:
    Ed - Am I correct in understanding that the logo will be for your local WECKBA (Windsor Essex Chatham Kent Bowling Association)and not some national body? I found your initial explanation a little confusing.

Am I also correct in understanding WECKBA covers only ten-pin bowling and that you don't use the balls with the finger holes? (we ain't all bowlers here! ) I mention the 'no holes' because that might well be relevant in logo designs.

Besides bowlers and their fancy shoes, is there anything distinctive about the Windsor-Essex-Chatham-Kent area that might influence a logo design?

Regards, Ross (de-sensitized by beer) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question Ross... Your right on all counts including the stereotype except for one... ten pin bowling DOES use holes. Generally 2 finger holes and one thumb hole

Bowling does suffer from an image problem, we all agree, but we would not want the bad stuff reflected in the logo. Actually over time we've been cleaning up our act. So no beer cans please LOL!

We're located in the most Souther part of Ontario and in Canada for that matter which is the only unique part I can think of. We do have Canadian record holders and most all the top honour score holders are from southern Ontario.

The WECKBA is the most southernly area (next door to Detroit Mich., one of the largest Associations in North America) and does not include Niagara / Toronto / Montreal areas which are all further north.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ross Macintosh:
    Ed - In your existing logo I see a rose. Any significance to that? What is the part of the logo with the green background?

It was fun looking around your bowling website. Congradulations on your induction to the Ontario Sports Hall of Fame! That is quite a recognition of your contributions to your sport. Nice to see your pic too -- you aren't even scary looking!

Is there a better image of the existing logo that you could post here?

Regards, Ross <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH WOW you notice that about me! Thanks indeed. The official ceremonies are in the Fall. In fact I was inducted into the Ontario Provincial HOF in May and less than two months later, made it into our local Association. I also hold a Canadian record for a 278 Triplicate.

Regarding the Rose... you are very observant! I think it has to do with Windsor the fact that our city is know as "the Rose City" most likely due to the downtown Dieppe Park/Gardens. This is an awesome city run park with a wonderfully exquisite display of roses in the spring. It's replanted with lots of other great plants during the rest of the year. Here is a link to one of the tourism pages... http://www.visitwindsor.com/main.htm
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OklaEd:
    My two cents (that's $.02 US).

Right idea ... wrong forum. I'm not "offended" by the "competition" because ED has been around awhile ... and I don't believe he is trying to "abuse the priviledge" by offering some remuneration for a winning design. This is a "BOWLING association" ... and those of us who have been involved in the past know how little budget these clubs have to play with. He could have just done the logo himself ... or could have gone to a local designer (I'm sure he knows a few) ... but he didn't. He came to the place where graphics are "fun and appreciated" to involve some "friends" in the process.

Is there any harm in that? I might have done the same thing ... only after hearing the responses here, I'll be sure to keep it to myself in the future ... wouldn't want to "offend" any of the sensitive types around here <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Man... your 100% correct! I appreciate your comment.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joroho:
    Here's my perspective as a non-designer in this forum: lighten up, you professionals. If you're offended by the small amount being offered for a small organization such as this, you can simply choose not to participate and let us non-professionals take a crack at it.

.joroho. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Now there's the spirit. Thanks Joroho

Again... I have to emphasize that I really do understand the Pro's here regarding the award being insignificant and I do respect their position for not wanting to participate. If you don't then there are no hard feelings. I hear ya loud and clear.

At the same time I'd really like to see you jump in on this. Think of it as a promotional venture since it's my full intention to expose the winning individual (in a nice way) to the full extent. If this means he/she has a professional business and/or website you're going to get plugged on our website including pictures of you if you wish and links to your website.

$100 bucks Canadian is all our board approved and thus is all I have to offer.

It's up to you but if you have some free time and have nothing better to do then by all means give it your best shot.

Do you think your guaranteed a win here?

Step up to the challenge and lets see what you've got. You might even learn something new and refreshing about yourself.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

I did a logo for 50 Canadian dollars a while ago, and ever since regret doing it for so cheap. We as artists should support each other and not sell ourselves so cheap. Man logo's are expensive. If you want a logo done, please do it if you do not have any portfolio pieces. Or better yet post a posting at Sheridan college for it. Sorry my prices are way above that.
    IP

ED has answered the questions fairly about the organisation's status etc. and all seems above board and fair.

So basically, if you don't want to enter, don't. If you do want to enter, gain some recognition and some pocket money then go for it.

ED, if you want to start a new thread feel free. This one has sidetracked. If you do, say so and I'll close this thread.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    IP

AntonyF... I'm fine with leaving the thread as is. The guys had came up with some good questions which I hope I've now been answered. They also had some fair criticism and I believe this too was addressed. I have no problem with either viewpoint.

If there are any other questions or comments then I'll do my best to answer those as well.

I'll keep checking here as time passes.

Good Luck to everyone and enjoy the challenge/competition.

Feel free to ask your questions here in the forum any time you need to. If you feel you want to PM me then go ahead. No Problem! If you want to contact me directly (webmaster@canbowl.com) then that is fine too.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP