Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Canadian Bowling Association Logo contest. $100.00 first prize.

Hi guys and gals... I've been a member here for quit a while. Anyone remember Xara 1.0. Anyway I've seen the people here step up to this kind of challenge before.

Our Bowling Association, not unlike all North American Associations, are moving to a SMO (Single Membership Organization. In the past, support organization for Bowling were divided into three (3) separate groups. The ABC (American Bowling Congress), the WIBC (Womens International Bowling Congress) and the YABA (Young American Bowling Alliance). All these organizations generally will be under one single membership organization in the United States.

Our Association, being in Canada, has joined forces with the CTF (Canadian Tenpin Federation) for our service headquarters. Our Local Association will now be one SMO. We'll be known as WECKBA (Windsor Essex Chatham Kent Bowling Association)

We're looking for a new Logo!

For our old logo and additional information, see http://canbowl.com

We're offering a $100.00 (Canadian funds) first place prize for the best logo design. Enter as often as you like by submitting as many different designs as you wish.

I've got a PayPal account so I suspect we'll be paying this way using the current exchange rate at that time. Right now it seems to be a little over $75.00 US funds.

So why not give it a shot. Based on the four we already have, your already in first place with anything close to what I've seen possible here.

Finally... I'll be monitoring this forum (as usual) and I can answer any of your questions you may have.

Thanks, Good Luck! and enjoy the fun!

Ed

Oh... by the way, I just got my copy of X1 yesterday! Hip Hip!!
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Gregraphic - I very much agree with your points. That is why I was pressing to have a better quality image of the existing crest. My hope was it could be modestly updated whilst maintaing some of their traditions. I think I'll still have a go at it...

Magi - I too thought they might be sheaves of grain. I was only joking when I called them landscape lights. If you look at my profile you'll see I was born in 1904 - I may be older than you thought. In my youth I did help my cousins 'making hay' in rural Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia Canada). We didn't have to make sheaves but we did have to fork the hey up into a hay wagon. It was hard, dusty, and hot work.

Regards, Ross
    IP

Perhaps, yes. Are you thinking background silhouette maybe?
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
    Having said that, we don't have any firm policy on such things like this. I'd need to speak to people like Gary off list. But I don't think we'd want the forum to become a place for competitions every few minutes so that companies can get cheap work (I'll count Xara logos as something a bit different, as you are after all dedicated Xara product users ).

But ED, how about more info? Namely is the organisation not-for-profit? What does it do? And why should people want to do the logo for you?

And will give you the author credit on your website?

We'll then make any decision accordingly after ED has replied. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi guys... OK, there was some missing info I did not think about adding here. Good Points!

Yes.. we are a NON PROFIT voluntary service. The only guy that gets paid is the Association Secretary for doing all the areas and all the leagues sanctioning, awards etc. All the dues money that comes in pretty much most of it goes to the headquarters for membership costs. We get to retain enough to cover expenses. Many of us, not unlike other bowling associations, provide voluntary services and even choose to take money out of our own pockets to help the cause of and to promotion of bowling in our area.

If I was approached by some business to do a logo I too would not be bothered for this kind of fee, so I understand those on this side of the fence.

It's true, I've been here longer than most and have never asked for anything up until now. In fact you'll see my posts have been all associated with helping others out of the willingness to do so. But this has always been a two way street. I've learned a lot here too!

Regarding credit for the Author... Yes indeed and I'd like a picture of the winner to add with the announcement I'll do up. The Board members (me and others) along with our sanctioned membership will make the final choice. I'll be setting up a poll to aid in the selection, elimination, and final choice process.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ross Macintosh:
    Ed - what is the graphic on the part with the caustic green background. Looks like those little landscape lights folks use in their gardens. What do they have to do with WEKCBA/WECKBA?

Regards, Ross

PS - Gregraphic's point is a good one -- how will the logo be used?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know! I'll try to find out.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OklaEd:
    My two cents (that's $.02 US).

Right idea ... wrong forum. I'm not "offended" by the "competition" because ED has been around awhile ... and I don't believe he is trying to "abuse the priviledge" by offering some remuneration for a winning design. This is a "BOWLING association" ... and those of us who have been involved in the past know how little budget these clubs have to play with. He could have just done the logo himself ... or could have gone to a local designer (I'm sure he knows a few) ... but he didn't. He came to the place where graphics are "fun and appreciated" to involve some "friends" in the process.

Is there any harm in that? I might have done the same thing ... only after hearing the responses here, I'll be sure to keep it to myself in the future ... wouldn't want to "offend" any of the sensitive types around here <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Man... your 100% correct! I appreciate your comment.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

how About 3 bowlers; Male, female and Kid. Kid bowling down the center, Male on one side, female on the other.
    John/DOT
    IP

Here's my perspective as a non-designer in this forum: lighten up, you professionals. If you're offended by the small amount being offered for a small organization such as this, you can simply choose not to participate and let us non-professionals take a crack at it.

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gregraphic:
    Hi everyone...as a former designer of medals, badges, medallions, dies, moulds etc (using Xara, of course!)for many associations and institutions and a lot of bowling associations(mostly lawnbowls)I'd like to put in my two cents. The existing logo that Ed has looks to me as a photo of an actual badge that has been either cast or die struck, with either stove enamel or baked enamel fill...and this is important in the design of a logo for a sporting group. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    gregraphic.... Thank you so much for your input here!

YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

Would you please continue to offer your expert feedback to those designs which will cause problems for our intended uses? Your experience and background is a valued asset to this whole process.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gregraphic:
    Are they going to have badges cast or a die made for either pins, medals, medallions, badges? If so, Risto's design is right on the money as it would be easy to covert to a die. Maybe WECKBA will only use plastic badges and pins (which is sad to me as nothing feels as good in the hand as metal) then the design can be printed instead of cast or struck, this then allows more artistic freedom with the design. Maybe Ed can reply as to exactly what the logo will be used on? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Again Excellent points!
    We will not go with plastic since we have always used metal in the past. I don't think we will ever go away from the metal.

So I have a question for you now.... We all like the designs with more detail so have you ever seen two versions of the same design? One that is more details used in print and a simplified version of the same design for die casting and such?

Regards
    Ed
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP

I'm feeling awkward now... and I'm not sure what to do. I feel an urge to jump in and at the same time something tells me to hold back.

- should I provide feedback outside of answering questions? Comments? Criticism? Critiquing?

- should I offer my personal ideas? (yep, I've got some). Am I now steering the design?

Anything I say or do here has to be within the bounds of ethics and not be seen as a conflict of interests or be viewed upon as improper behavior. Obviously, I want to make this fair and fun for everyone and not step on anyones toes.

Please help me out here you guys. I'd like to here several opinions on these questions, so I can decide on how to proceed.
    The BEST is good enough!
    IP