Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question index_htm_files:Access is denied

Hi - I know you've dealt with this before and I hope you can help me. I'm trying to publish my first site to the client's server. I've published the site dozens of times successfully to my draft server site with no problem. When I changed the publishing settings to what the client's webhost server instructed - I got a message saying, " index_htm_files:Access is denied" I followed the directions from this thread (37631) and downloaded and ran the debugger as I tried again to upload and I've attached a xara file screenshot of the script from the debugger (which is totally greek to me) I've talked to the webhost server and they've assured me that they take ftp transfer - and I've rechecked my ftp login etc instructions and I know they are correct. As I said - I uploaded the site many times successfully and it can still be seen at my draft site: www.petermacinnes.741.com/jlm/index.htm

Your wisdom would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: index_htm_files:Access is denied

When I changed the publishing settings to what the client's webhost server instructed - I got a message saying, " index_htm_files:Access is denied"
    Denied access can happen if the UN/PW is wrong, though the normal message is '530 Login authentication failed' .
    The FTP address might be wrong or mistyped, check for comma where there should be a dot, little things easily missed are enough.
    If you have checked those and they are 100% correct, it could be that the permissions on the server are denying access to create the folder.
    The host will need to look at that for you.

Personally I would try using a client such as FileZilla, this will at least give you some more information about the login success (or otherwise).

Peter the remote server denied access to create the sub folder 'index_htm_files'. Your permissions on the remote server need to be addressed by their administrator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftp-error.gif 
Views:	212 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	61889  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you both - I referred your suggestions to the host server who advised me to add /httpdocs to the 4th field of the publishing dialogue box. I did so and it seemed to upload with no error warnings, but navigating to my site URL - I get a 404 file not found page. The host server swears the files are uploaded correctly and that the site is active. I'll persevere and hopefully boast of my success soon.

Can you show us the URL please?

I have had some (but not total) success the draft site URL is:
    http://www.petermacinnes.741.com/jlm2/index.htm

the server has now got the site working at the URL http://jlmlaw.com

and swears that it also works at http://www.jlmlaw.com (what I wanted as the client has already had all their signage and business cards, & letterhead addressed as this)

I have tried multiple computers, multiple browsers, and cleared the cache prior and I consistently get a "Under Construction" page at the www URL

also - (sorry to be so needy) looking at the site on different browsers, the following page shows as expected in IE8 and FF3 but the text doesn't repel properly when viewed using Safari - all the Lawyers pages were created the same way and each of the other pages looks fine in Safari - ???

Quote Originally Posted by p-macinnes View Post
    I have tried multiple computers, multiple browsers, and cleared the cache prior and I consistently get a "Under Construction" page at the www URL
    Loads fine here using the WWW url.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jlmlaw.png 
Views:	182 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	61926

Quote Originally Posted by p-macinnes View Post
    the text doesn't repel properly when viewed using Safari - all the Lawyers pages were created the same way and each of the other pages looks fine in Safari - ???
    No problems in Safari 4 here. Repelling looks the same as in other browsers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jlmlae_safari3.png 
Views:	185 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	61925

Thank you both for your assistance - I'll set to work to clean out my cache and try again. I called friends - and - as you say - it looked fine to them on their systems.