Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Give away of the day

You normally get pretty mediocre stuff on this site but occasionally there's a little gem. This is one of them - today they're giving away Paragon Drive Copy SE. Rush down and pick up a free copy now because tomorrow they'll be all gone! It's a great hard drive copy and backup program.

(I keep that site open in a tab all the time - really is worth it for free utilities)

Default Re: Give away of the day

for me the best to do that task is Symantec Ghost
    Javier

Sure, but most people don't think about ghosting and backups, and this little gem is free for a few hours only

Quote Originally Posted by jvila View Post
    for me the best to do that task is Symantec Ghost
    Maybe, but can it beat the price?

So, now I need another drive to put it all on

I've got a My Book 232G but it's only got 91G free already and I just got a Verbatum portable drive (think it's 240 too) but moving anything to it takes FOREVER!!!! It's like a flash drive, I guess. It came with no instructions and I found that it had Nero installed to it. I was going to put all my gigs of 3D content on it but just one folder took 1-1/2 hours to copy to it. If I ever lose the 3D folders it would take months to get it all back.

In any case, how much room would I need for the backup? It says it's fast. Would it be fast copying it to the Verbatum drive?
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

I'm afraid the data transfer speed to and from your Verbatim drive is limited by the drive itself, not the backup software. The only thing that would make it (marginally) faster is decreasing the size of the data with compression. I've had a look at their site and if it's like this one then it's certainly not a flash drive. But, either way, gigabytes of data will take a long time to transfer. But once you have a full backup, thereafter you just need to take incremental backups, which should be much, much quicker.

agreed

I use USB external drives [which I believe the verbatim to be?] and data transfer is definitely slower than with internal drives
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks guys, I believe they both are external drives. The My Book is pretty fast to transfer to but the Verbatum is a snoozers, lol.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

they do vary in speed - if the vebatim is very slow it may be an old USB 1.0 standard - there again, maybe it needs defrag...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Today's super hot give-away!

Extra DVD Creator provides an easy and fast way to convert popular video formats such as AVI, MPEG, WMV and DivX to DVD and burn DVD movies for use on portable or home DVD players. Extra DVD Creator allows you to specify NTSC or PAL, adjust 4:3 or 16:9 video aspect, set actions, and either burn to a DVD movie disk or DVD folder. It supports DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW, DVD-5, DVD-9. No other DVD creator supports such comprehensive video formats like Extra DVD Creator!
    Key features in Extra DVD Creator:

* Create AVI,MPEG,MOV,DIVX to standard DVD without losing quality.
    * Choose DIVX, XVID, AVI, MPG,, or MOV video formats.
    * Convert each chapter to an individual file.
    * Estimate output file size before creation.
    * Convert from any position to any position of a movie.
    * User-friendly interface without any complicated settings.
    * Choose to automatically shutdown computer after especially long conversions.
    * Burn to a DVD movie disk or a DVD folder.

I just love that site! But don't forget to read the small print. The giveaways normally give you NO support whatsoever and if want to upgrade to a Pro version, there's no upgrade path. You'd still have to pay full price. But, anyway, it's FREE, right?

Yooooohoooooo, off to burn some DVDs baby!
    Last edited by kinetica; 06 June 2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Remove idiot mistake, DOH!