Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Importing custom shapes into xara3d

Hello everyone, New member here!

I did a search and tried to find the answer but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm trying to take a picture (jpeg) and import it into Xara3d, I have xtreme pro, but i'm still new with both programs and don't know how to take a 2d object and make it into a 3d object. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Importing custom shapes into xara3d

Hi DarkSide and welcome to the forum.
    I'm afraid it isnt quite that simple. Xara 3D needs a vector shape and then a bitmap as a texture.
    As you have Xtreme Pro, you can draw your vector shape there and copy it to the clipboard. Then paste it into X3D and in the texture options, check the Texture tickbox and press the Load Texture button to load your .jpg.
    You may have to cut out the part of the .jpg with the shape editor tool and select that and the rest of the photo, slice out the part you want (Ctrl + 4)
    and export that as your texture bitmap. The shape that you make for the slicing procedure should be copied to the clipboard for X3D.
    Have a look at this recent thread to get a handle on the procedure.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 28 May 2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: adding a link
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Thanks Bob, I did find a way to do it, it's probably different from the right way.
    But I found my image that i wanted to use. Then opened it in xtreme. Then created a new layer and made sure the new layer was highlighted and the one i was working on. Then I just used the shape editor tool and traced around the part of the image i wanted to use. Then copied it and pasted it into x3d. then it came up as a 3d object of the selection i made but there was no color or anything. Then I just went into the textures and found the same image I was working with and loaded that as a texture and it put the image on the 3d object, then I just moved the image around to fit the 3d object and it worked out pretty well. That seemed to be the easiest way for me to figure it out.

There is usually more than one way to get a result in most graphics software.
    Whatever works for you has to be a right way.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.