Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: What is an alot?

Steve, please don't pick out a small part of the whole and take it out of context just for the sake of an argument.

If it's an argument you want, PM me for an appointment

I want free speech!!!
    [you did say not to be too serious didn't you John ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I want free speech!!!
    Sure, go out on the street and shout whatever you want... If you sign up and wish to continue posting at TG, you follow rules and kind pointers by moderators.

Risto

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I want free speech!!!
    [you did say not to be too serious didn't you John ]
    I did...
    But obviously I'm not a moderador... So better not listen to me... I'm just fooling around!
    John.

@ Hans: If you refer to my original post, I mentioned "native language" because I am fully aware and
    sensitive to the problem, as I am a foreigner in my adoptive country. Coming to terms with a foreign
    language isn't easy. But I had the courtesy to study Spanish for years before moving to live among
    Spaniards. I know Spanish words are far easier to spell than English, because there are hard and fast rules regarding spelling linked to pronunciation but the rules seem more random in the English language, where etymology reveals the seemingly capricious nature of English spelling.
    German, too, is easier to spell for the same reasons, but it's grammar is almost impossible to crack
    for an outsider. Different alphabets in other languages are also huge barriers to the learning
    process. My point was, and still, is that poor spelling will hinder the communication process.
    @ John: Your point about the message being easily decipherable is exactly right. By using correct
    grammar and spelling where possible, is how this is accomplished. I'm pleased you are enjoying this thread too. Although my enjoyment of this discussion has been tempered by the following.
    @ sledger: Well done for spotting the deliberate typo. But why you feel the need to try and score
    points from it defeats me. TG may not be a literary society, but my point wasn't that it should be.
    I would like to point out that I have not "pointed the finger" at any individual on this forum and that
    the instances I used have been frequently used my a number of members, past and present. My own
    examples of ether/either and fot/for are probably invented by me. Also I resent the inference that I am a bully, and I have always been scrupulously courteous to all at TalkGraphics.
    Also, I take issue with your statement that the dumbing down process is a result of drunkeness and
    dementia. Nobody is taken in by it, for it is far more insidious than that. It is the fault of the media to
    talk to us all as if we were five-year-olds, and for the government to tell us what is best for us in
    terms of education. If you make a sweeping generalisation, then you must expect to be gainsaid.
    Steve James has already mentioned that this is the Off Topic forum, but it is looking increasingly like
    this particular topic will be throttled ere long. We have seen threads locked before because
    exception has been taken rather than any forum rules having been broken. What next? Vocabulary
    Police? No words with more than three syllables? I've already seen someone chastised for using
    too many smilies in their posts, so my thoughts aren't that far-fetched.
    I must also state that I did enjoy your alliterative phrasing of "post prolific prose to press a point."
    I have taken a break, although why you feel you have the right to say this to me, I cannot imagine.
    I have also been told to "lighten up", but as John (Covoxer) has said, we are just fooling around here. I wish that everybody could see that.
    I see that this thread is now taking on a life of its own in my absence, I look forward to watching (from the sidelines) how and if it develops.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    German, too, is easier to spell for the same reasons, but it's grammar is almost impossible to crack
    for an outsider.
    German grammar is nothing comparing to most Slavic languages.
    It's virtually impossible to learn by understanding, only by practice. Just the same as with English pronunciation.
    I guess that's why there was Esperanto invented. But who cares? Everyone learns English anyway.
    John.

wasn't serious Risto - irony free speech is a myth, best we can hope for is to be free to speak, which is not at all the same thing is it?

no rules broken - I would be told if it were so, I am sure
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

You may well have already given up on reading this, because it has bored the pants off you. But at least I showed you the courtesy of writing in a clear and as far as possible, error-free manner.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Not at all Bob...in fact i have read every word every member has ever written in response to anything and everything i have ever posted.

As ultimately we are (and I am) not posting to merely create a monument to a passing thought but to engage others.

not something I myself excel at but I do try.

(And in many ways I often feel like the "Vulcan" trying to make small talk...
    to engage both an astrological reference and a star trek one... no mistake I'm sure as Vulcan is the fabled 10th planet which is also said to rule the metal process....I digress....)

And for this reason one could never bore me with the courtesy of a response and an extensive one would probably only serve to encourage me.

To be honest this is the first hit i have got from you in perhaps a half a dozen attempts. (Perhaps i'm getting better at this)
    P.S That was not intended as a criticism or a "bitch" by the way as no response is always preferable to a disingenuous one.

But by all means: post an encyclopedia if your so inclined... if its aimed at me I will surely read it.

You made some good points by the way, I found myself nodding along to most of it.

One thing about me though is that even though i can be opinionated, I don't assume my opinions are necessarily inherently correct simply because I currently hold faith in them.
    If presented with a good argument I can and will "turn on a dime".

And I'm happy to report that you have convinced me to make a greater effort with my spelling and choice of words.
    And I choose this course not because I want to appease you but rather because I see the value in this and so chose to "buy" the ideas you were "selling".

It seems to be a convention on a forum such as this that brevity is best
    [Taxi Driver]"Are you talking to me?"[/Taxi Driver]
    Last edited by morphonius_821; 29 May 2009 at 03:49 PM.

One other small point that Bob didn't mention ......

If your native language is not English, then understanding badly written/spelt English is even more difficult. Since this is a Worldwide forum, it makes sense that the write as accurately as possible (or as accurately as you are able) is actually helping others to understand what you are saying.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thumbs up Re: What is an alot?

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    One other small point that Bob didn't mention ......

If your native language is not English, then understanding badly written/spelt English is even more difficult. Since this is a Worldwide forum, it makes sense that the write as accurately as possible (or as accurately as you are able) is actually helping others to understand what you are saying.
    Good point!
    John.