Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I stated in the November Xara Tutorial that you could change the bevel color both top and bottom.

Several readers wrote asking me why this was not working when they tried it.

Well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] I think my computer must have been having a drug flashback because I have been unable to make this happen again, even though I swear it worked for me when I did the tutorial. (Higher altitude? Freak thunderstorm? Sleep deoravation?).

Joel Horn, among others, wrote to ask me about this but as he used a no-spam e-mail address (<my_spam@yahoo.com>), it would do no good to try to answer to him by replying to his message.

So I hope he gets this answer.

If you need a response from me, please use a real e-mail address, I try to promptly answer every message or question I receive. But I can only do this if the e-mail return address is valid.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on November 10, 2000 at 05:26 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	181100.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	15060  

I stated in the November Xara Tutorial that you could change the bevel color both top and bottom.

Several readers wrote asking me why this was not working when they tried it.

Well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] I think my computer must have been having a drug flashback because I have been unable to make this happen again, even though I swear it worked for me when I did the tutorial. (Higher altitude? Freak thunderstorm? Sleep deoravation?).

Joel Horn, among others, wrote to ask me about this but as he used a no-spam e-mail address (<my_spam@yahoo.com>), it would do no good to try to answer to him by replying to his message.

So I hope he gets this answer.

If you need a response from me, please use a real e-mail address, I try to promptly answer every message or question I receive. But I can only do this if the e-mail return address is valid.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on November 10, 2000 at 05:26 AM.]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Name:	Nov00Final.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	14863  

You must be careful to drop the color on the chiseled edge is my only guess.

Name:	bevel_test.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	20143  

I found that bevel can be assigned fill types and still retain highlight, contrast, interactivity, etc.
    In this way you can add all the colours you need.

Luciano

Name:	colours.gif 
Views:	404 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	12952  

I had no problem creating the tutorial's multi-color bevel. So I was perplexed by this forum thread.

Until I tried an experiment. I created a new editable object (starting from text). I applied a chisel bevel, and had no problem assigning a linear fill to the bevel. I was also able to apply different transparencies types by the same method--carefully selecting the bevel).

When I next started to "play" with different fills for the bevel, Xara X stopped working predictably. No crashes, or anything really goofy, just that my bevel fill edits weren't honored.

Each time I tried, the first bevel fill edit was accepted as expected. Every subsequent time, it was not.

If bevels are meant to accept different fill types (and transparency types) we have a little bug. Or was this an undocumented "feature?"

Joel Horn wrote and said if you hold down the Ctrl key while dragging the second color to the bevel it works.

I think Ross Macintosh had said in a Gallery post that he often holds down the Ctrl key without even thinking about it and this may well have been the reason I was able to apply the two-color bevel.

But leave it to Luciano to find even a better way of doing this by using fountain fills. That being the case then you could use a Conical Fill and the Alt Rainbow option to create a technicolor bevel.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello

Bevels are objects in their own right and can be selected and filled and faded like any other object.
    If you have a bevelled object with a shadow, each part can be selected with TAB. You need to have the selector tool selected. If you convert to shape and ungroup, you can separate all of these.

The same is true for contours. You cannot make a contour completely transparent. They are in essence concentric layers of fills.

I trust that grandmothers and egg sucking do not come to your mind.

Mike Engles
    Attached Files Attached Files

When I was doing the tutorial, I didn't have any trouble changing the bevel colors top and bottom. Knowing that I didn't hold down the control key (because Gary didn't tell me to) I investigated by converting text to editable shape and giving it a linear fill --- that seems to be the key and it even makes sense to me! You have to start with a fill of more than one color.

Happy Friday! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Mickie

Attached are some examples using linear 3 and 4 color fills. Play on!
    Attached Files Attached Files