Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Sketch Challenge...

That last one is very nice Morph. Good work. Is that one of your kids ?
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

yeah (TY)...."raphael"...
    He is 21 months now...a bit younger in that pic.
    I also have a nice photo of my daughter i would like to do justice to also...
    I have tried this particular one once before a while ago but was "offended" when i did not get an adequate likeness .
    With this last one i did post it as it was a profile and i did want to keep posting and it is such a nice pic but again the exact likeness escaped me.
    But if i do a portrait I would not like to release something that does not convey the "spirit" of the subject...especially one of my own kids.

With me, my skills are a little lopsided in that im a far better renderer than drawer and if i for example traced just a few lines (enough to get the key features in place) i could do work that i know be so much better than what i have done thus far that it would wow everyone but this is not the point is it.
    It would also help if i had more that one pencil....i like using a 6H for fine shading that's kinda like scratching with a needle lol and would never show up on my scanner anyway...im not pandering to my strengths... im trying to develop my sketching skills.
    Bring on the sketches.....
    (Im finding i like using an ink pen...if i could get ball points in several shades of grey....who knows......)
    Thanks David
    Last edited by morphonius_821; 10 June 2009 at 09:31 PM.

you could try one of these:

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/rotring_Artpen.html

I would suggest nib type 'sketching EF' and if you use a converter rather than cartridges you can mix your own shade of ink [only use fountain pen black ink in these, as they will seize up if you use waterproof drawing ink - best is pelikan 'font' ink if you can find it, and dilute with de-ionised ('distilled') water]

ok - they are wet ink pens not ball - but the tips are rigid same as a ball pen, and they 'glide' - great for sketching
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

yeah thanks for that (they look pretty fancy).

Pencils will probably do me and with 3 or 4 different types i can do quite well (I should get some more when im next in Darwin) but i am naturally very messy and the discipline required to avoid smudging the thing all over the place sometimes escapes me.

But for these exercise i probably don't really need more than one pencil as im not supposed to be indulging myself with fancy rendering just getting the proportions right and sorting the tone out with some hatching perhaps.
    But its hard to resist sometimes.

Anyway keep up the good work people....
    you all want to see a champion?

http://whizzywhizzer.deviantart.com/

This guy uses charcoal (i had a chat to him a while back... he's one of the charcoal kings on deviant art....that's the standard to shoot for...breath taking....when i asked him how he avoids smudging the page he said he starts on one side and works across totally completing it in one pass like a flat bed scanner.....is that full on or what!

the cadillac is impressive [ I note that was done in graphite rather than charcoal, as was Mickey]
    Nothing lasts forever...

I am impressed by everyone's attempts. All the different styles are interesting and each has its own unique appeal. Great job everyone.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

thank you Nancy
    Nothing lasts forever...

You are welcome. I like your fluid and free look to your work. As I've stated before, you have the ability to make a statement with minimal lines. A great fete (or is that feat?).
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

fate
    Ross may not agree, but personally I respect the concept of the Muse
    Nothing lasts forever...