Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lightbulb Unwanted Red Lines when Copying & Pasting From Xtreme to Web Designer

Hopefully someone else has done this and I'm not the only idiot hanging around these here parts. Here's the story...

The other night, say around 2 or 3 in the morning, I was copying and pasting images from Xara Xtreme Pro 4 to the new Xara Web Designer. I was only half awake and wasn't paying much attention when all of a sudden I noticed these freaky red lines all over the place. Of course, I selected everything and deleted it and retried the copy & paste operation all over again. Same result, red lines all over the place. It was way past my bedtime and I'm thinking (not very well, obviously), "What gives?" I finally just made a bitmap copy of the original Xtreme graphic then copied and pasted that into XWD to 'get rid of' the unwanted red lines and finish up what I was trying to do. Then I did a quick save of the file before taking the hint and going straight to bed, where I should have already been.

Earlier today when performing a copy and paste from XXP to XWD I was, once again, plagued with little bits of red lines (see attached file). I was just about to do the old bitmap copy and paste routine when it hit me what all of those silly red lines were. XWD was doing its job and underlining in red everything it thought was a spelling mistake!!! A slap to my forehead was quickly applied. I'm still an idiot, although a bit more awake one at the current moment.

I'll take the embarrassment for this one so, maybe, I can save someone else from the same predicament later on.

REMEMBER, XWD has a built-in spell checker!

IHTH,
    HayTay

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silly Red Lines.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	61375  

Default Re: Unwanted Red Lines when Copying & Pasting From Xtreme to Web Designer

Harry the 'Check as you type' feature can be distracting I agree.
    For this reason I have mine switched off in Web Designer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	checkasyoutype.png 
Views:	312 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	61376  

Default Re: Unwanted Red Lines when Copying & Pasting From Xtreme to Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Harry the 'Check as you type' feature can be distracting I agree
    I disagree (which merely goes to prove how different we all are!). I love all applications that check as I type. Not only do I not find it distracting, I find it actually improves my spelling. I use Firefox almost exclusively and it checks as I type, for instance in this forum. Occasionally I have to switch browsers and it always catches me off guard that in Internet Explorer I do not have any spellchecker installed. But I use it so infrequently that it's not an issue.

But I truly wish Xtreme had a built-in spell checker. No doubt V.5 will have the XWD one which will be very welcome indeed.

Steve, based on your tip I've gone and unchecked the 'Check spelling as you type' function in XWD.

Kinetica, spell checking is handy, I have to agree. It's saved me a time or two and keeps me from dyslexifying (take that you spell checkers!) a bunch of words when typing. Adding what I thought were red artifacts from underlying layers or corruption caused by a fouled up copy and past operation was a bit of a shock, though. My lack of sleep and those red lines contributed to another 15 or 20 minutes of lost slumber. After a year or two of using XX without a spell check and its associated red lines, seeing them in XWD definitely threw me for a loop. I thought Xara's shiny new application was messing with my graphics. It's all sorted out now in my head.

Must not stay up so late in the future...

Yeah, right,
    Harry