Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frames

Default Re: Frames

That is a very cool example, Steve! One of the problems with using frames is that web page printing is a bit unpredictable for the site visitor. With your example, would printing address more than the current frame?

I just uploaded Steve's frames-example to see how printing might behave.
    • Printing the page before clicking anywhere will print all page elements.
    • Clicking LINK 1 in the left navigation pane will make that frame active. A File > Print will print only the navigation pane.
    • Mouse clicking on any other pane, then printing, results in a partial page print.
    I note that as part of the File > Print dialog there is a tab called Options (should a site visitor realize that it's there ...). There I can instruct it to print the page in three different ways:
    1. As laid out on screen
    2. Only the selected frame
    3. All frames individually

Printing frames is browser dependant, handling frame printing in various ways.
    With IE, you can right-click a menu link and select 'Print Target' or right-click the frame contents and select 'Print'
    Firefox uses the term 'Print this frame' when using the right-click context menu for a frame link or the frame content.

If you are producing a site with printable content in mind, it might be just as easy to provide a link to a printable version of that page or a prepared PDF version for printing.

Of course the better method might be to add <a href="javascript:print();">Print this page</a> placeholder to the page to print. It will only print the page in which the script is added.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	printiframepage.png 
Views:	368 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	61340  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Steve,
    I am having a little problem with Iframes. I was OK until I loaded IE7. Now the slider doesn't function when attempting to scroll the text. If I dont have a slider e.g. your frames examples, I have no problem viewing, everything functions as it should. Could it be possible that I don't have a setting right in IE7?
    Rupert

my reason for asking about frames is another site I maintain uses a frame at the bottom to keep a music player always with the visitor. I want to start useing WD for that page as there are many less hasseling features I like in this other than my cluelessness of frames

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanna View Post
    Steve,
    I am having a little problem with Iframes. I was OK until I loaded IE7. Now the slider doesn't function when attempting to scroll the text. If I dont have a slider e.g. your frames examples, I have no problem viewing, everything functions as it should. Could it be possible that I don't have a setting right in IE7?
    Rupert
    Rupert you have the red border on top, put it to back and the scroller will work

Thanks Steve. It is funny that it worked before in IE6. Now I will go through my other Iframes and check them.

Rupert

That fixed them all. Thanks Steve.
    Border to the back!!
    Rupert.

There has been some discussion in this thread and others within this forum about the benefits of and problems associated with frames (like this thread, for example).

Are there similar problems that occur when using precisely overlapping, locked popup layers? Consider the attached .web fiile as an example. Thanks.

EDIT -- Looking through the generated source, I see no reference to "frame" ...
    Last edited by cursor; 26 May 2009 at 09:57 PM.