Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Inserting pdf/jpeg into XWD

I'm still working on my web page which has to show around 150 floor plans or so ( we build houses ). I think instead of having a web page for every different floor plan, I am goiong to use links to pdf documents. My question is how do I insert a pdf? Is there a folder that the pdf has to be put in?

Thanks for your help,

mcspade

Default Re: Inserting pdf/jpeg into XWD

Hi mcspade,

welcome to Talkgraphics.

Just make a hyperlink to your pdf file like you would to any other file; no special folder needed. Look for more info here.

Good luck.
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga

Albert-

Thanks so much for the reply. I guess where I am having trouble is where the pdf file goes.

I need to place the pdf file in the index_htm_files folder that was created when I exported my web page to my hard drive- correct? Then I link to the pdf file in this folder by using index_htm_files/name_of_pdf_file.pdf in the web properties box- correct?

Is there anything else I need to know? I'm going to try and upload my new web page later today if I get it completed. The existing web page I am replacing (www.mheinc.com) was written with Frontpage. Should I remove the old page completely before I upload my new XWD designed web page?

Again Albert- thanks for your reply!
    mcspade

I didn't go the pdf route with my page. Just used photographs supplied by our corporate headquarters. Check out here to see how our site turned out. As with you, this site was made in Frontpage (Not sure how many pages, but Frontpage reports 654 files ... probably at least 120 pages). I suspect that it's too big for me to attempt to rebuild in XWD.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Linking to the index_htm_files folder

I have exported my web site to my hard drive. I placed a pdf file named
    1772A bro.pdf in the index_htm_files folder. One of my web pages has a button that is linked to the pdf file by typing the following in the Web Properties Link Tab:

index_htm_files/1772A bro.pdf

I unclicked the correct address automatically button. When I preview the site from XWD or when I double click on the index page of my exported web site I cannot see the pdf file when I click on the link. Is this common until I publish the site or have I done something wrong?

Thanks for any assistance!

mcspade

Quote Originally Posted by mcspade View Post
    I need to place the pdf file in the index_htm_files folder that was created when I exported my web page to my hard drive- correct?
    Well not necessarily, because you can put your pdf file (or any other file, for that matters) pretty much anywhere you like, as long as you refer to it with the correct relative path.
    Last edited by akubbeng; 23 May 2009 at 01:11 AM.
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga

Default Re: Linking to the index_htm_files folder

Quote Originally Posted by mcspade View Post
    I have exported my web site to my hard drive. I placed a pdf file named
    1772A bro.pdf in the index_htm_files folder. One of my web pages has a button that is linked to the pdf file by typing the following in the Web Properties Link Tab:

index_htm_files/1772A bro.pdf

I unclicked the correct address automatically button. When I preview the site from XWD or when I double click on the index page of my exported web site I cannot see the pdf file when I click on the link. Is this common until I publish the site or have I done something wrong?
    That's correct what you have done and should work fine, though I would suggest that you remove the space from the name of the PDF.
    rename to: 1772A_bro.pdf (for example)

If you still have trouble, please post your .web file for us to look at.

Thanks for the responses! Here is my .web file, if I've uploaded it properly. I just want to make sure I'm linking to the pdf file properly before I link over 100 pdf files. When I try to view the pdf file by clicking on the link, the link does not work and that is why I am concerned. I have exported to my hard drive and I still can not get the link to work when I preview the web site.

It does not appear that I uploaded my .web file properly, It is over 10 MB, is that that the reason?

Thanks,
    mcspade

Just an idea, Im not 100% what your business is but most websites thrive on email addresses for marketing purposes etc, could you not have a membership page a simple password protected directory that containd each pdf file zipped up, the on your main site you could have smaller jpeg's maybe with a nice mouseover effect to enlarge them a bit, your customer could then either register so you capture their email or log in if they are already registered to get access to the Zip for for a direct download?

Junst an idea.......