Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HTML Link from Webdesigner to other html

Hi,
    I have a full working homepage, originally designed using Phase5 HTML.
    I built a new section now, using Webdesigner5.
    Learning how easy it is, I started to re-design, only the "index" frontpage of my original (Phase5) homepage with Webdesigner5.
    Now I wanted to link them together, but the "index" Webdesigner5 page do not understand any links to the original Phase5 created sites.
    I have checked the html files (after export) and double checked the correct link-names, but cannot find the mistake.
    I am sure I missed something, but wonder what ?

I built a very simple example to demonstrate the issue.
    Attached you find a zip file containing the original webdesigner file, the exported "index" file from that webdesigner file and the phase5 HTML file called "seite2".

I want the button on the "index" site links to the "seite2" site. But clicking on the button, nothing happens, even so I cannot find any issue on the href code.

Any comments ?

Regards,
    HK
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: HTML Link from Webdesigner to other html

You will have to use the full URL to the other pages - e.g. http://www.site/seite2.html
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Correct your seite2 link as shown, (you MUST add the .html extension) then re export, all will work fine.

EDIT: John jumped in a tad before me.
    You do not need the full URL http://www.site/ when the target file is in the same folder as the calling (referring) file or even on the same domain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freewind.png 
Views:	272 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	61243  

Hello John, hello sledger,

thanks for feedback, but that exactly is the problem.
    It should work, but it does not and I have no glue why .

I have tried both versions, first to set correct link (seite2.html) in Webdesigner5 and then export. But it does not work. Then I put in something else, exported and amended manually the HTML file at the href position with the correct link (seite2.html), but did not work too.
    Also complete URL address as link does not work.
    Both sites "index" and "seite2" are in the same folder, so it should work.

Attached a screenshort of the exported "index" html file which shows the href code is correct, but nothing works in any preview.
    Did not go "live", but guess should be the same, if preview does not work, "live" version does not work too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_HTML Code.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	61246  

I found that it does not work locally in IE 8 but it does in FF3. Steve, is that IE intranet settings again and if so how do we change them? I tried, using Freewind's index page, changing the link to a full url and it worked, so it must be a local thing surely?
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I really can't tell why it's not working for you freewind, because it just should.
    But please, do not edit the index.htm exported by WD, it's not necessary.
    As explained in my previous post (and shown screenshot) name your link correctly (seite2.html) and remove the tick from 'Correct address automatically'.
    Then export the html to a folder on your HDD.

THEN it will work from WD preview and any other browser correctly (and not before).

See here for an online example of your file after doing just that

Works in IE7/IE8 - Chrome, Safari, Opera and FF3

This is a problem of the different security zones used again.
    To avoid annoying confirmation requests form IE to allow opening the page with scripts on the local storage, we mark exported pages to be opened in the Internet security zone by IE. But this means that links to the pages in the local security zone don't work.
    Some facts:
    1. As soon as you publish your site it will start working as expected because your other pages would be in the Internet zone too.
    2. This is only an issue of the Internet Explorer, it doesn't happen with other browsers.
    3. If you want it to work locally (from your HDD), you can add Mark Of The Web to your other pages, or remove it form the WD generated pages. It is a second line in the HTML file, and in WD generated pages it looks like this:
    Code:
    <!-- saved from url=(0020)http://www.xara.com/ -->
    You can add it to your other pages, but make sure it's a second line, just after the <!DOCTYPE> element.

Hope it helps.
    John.

Thanks John

Dear John, thanks for your very interessting comment.
    Meanwhile I did update my IE from 6 to IE8.
    But also this did not work.

BUT, I must confess feeling myself a bit sheepish about this topic and my tests.
    I was pretty sure also having tried to change the Webdesigner5 exported filename from index.htm into index.html

Obviously I did not because as soon I have done this, everything works fine now. Nevertheless, you info in regard to the IE trusted zone is very interessting and I will file it.

Thanks for for helping me with that.
    Now I can proceed to step-by-step refurbish my current homepage with the Webdesigner5 software to make it even more fancy.

Regards,
    HK

My homepage (as of today)
    Will be updated next using Webdesigner5

Update:
    Well the above is not absolutely correct.
    Tried also on my other PC and with several files. Its indeed what John mentioned, have to go the "security zone" approach. And ensure the file extension is .html (at least for the index site)
    Last edited by Freewind; 22 May 2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Update 18:25 / May22

Hello

I have a similar unsolved problem.
    I have made a website working very well with all links working regarding extention, but after updating to IE8, I want to add some new links to local documents in my webpage.
    When I try to preview or load the exported .htm file on my local HDD, I can not get the new links to work, but the old one do still. When I upload the .htm to the server, all links works. So it must have somthing to do with the update of IE8, but I can not figure out what is wrong.

Any suggestions please
    Last edited by Sofus; 07 July 2009 at 04:32 PM.