Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Amazing Shrinking Image!

HELP!
    I'm trying to do a hip hop poster and I've 'photoshopped' an image that I'd like to use. I've saved it as a Photoshop image and its 2.5MB in size. However, when I try to place it in an Indesign document it shrinks to something absolutely teeny and unworkable. What am I doing wrong?? Its driving me mad!

Any help will be gratefully received!
    IP

Default Re: The Amazing Shrinking Image!

Wow. I cannot believe nobody has replied to this! Well, let me try.

Instead of importing a PSD into InDesign, try saving the file from Photoshop as a high resolution JPG or PNG and then bringing it into InDesign. Also, check that the resolution of your two documents match. If the Photoshop image is 96dpi and the poster is set as 300dpi you'll notice some shrinkage when you import into InDesign.

Please let us know whether this does the trick (and would love to see the poster)
    IP

Hi Kinetica - thanks so much for your reply - I was beginning to get worried about lack of response...!

I have tried placing the image as a jpeg and it works beautifully, but is there a way of getting rid of the background in Indesign? I just want the dancer and not the white background. Obviously placing an image from photoshop means you've already got rid of the background.

The only resolution thing I can find is 'object display performance' - is that what you meant? If so, it doesnt seem to work either. Its really odd - as soon as I place the image from PS it goes from 2.5MB to about 4 pixels.

Thanks for your help - I'm very new to all this and thought I was doing ok...til this!
    IP

Ah! If you require a transparent background then what you need is PNG, not JPG. If your image in Photoshop has transparency then saving it as a PNG should also preserve the transparency (well it did when I tested this just now, PS CS3). So give that a try and let us know.

Glad to have been of some assistance (if it works!)
    IP

Hi Shents
    I think that lack of response to your question is more a fact that so few of us at this forum has the full Adobe suite with Indesign.
    Without actually owning the program, I guess that what is happening is that the Photoshop image will be shown on the monitor as a low ress image but the printed file will use the full size image. Have you tried to print it out to see if it is still low ress?
    IP

I've managed to do it by copying and pasting the image as a JPG, and then using something called a clipping path to get rid of the background in Indesign. It seems to have done the job - but I still cant work out what on earth was going on with the original PS image. Every other PS image has been fine...just not this one! If I manage to work it out I'll let you know!

Many thanks for everyone's help - I'm really happy with the final product now!
    IP

What is the canvas size in PS? What method of import have you used in ID? The way that you do these things will effect how they import. The way that I would check the object would be firstly to get the canvas to fir the object and save it. Then you the Place command in ID and use the "scale the frame to fit the object". After that I may scale the frame to suit the document. Watch what units you use in PS I would keep it to inches for ID.

By the way I like "Oor Wullie".
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Hi shents, I was glad to see Oor Wullie as well. I was a big fan of him and the Broons as a child, and had quite a few of the annuals.
    They are starting to become quite rare these days. Here's a nice website that might interest a few, from a nostalgic point of view.
    Seeing your avatar brought the memories flooding back. A more innocent childhood than that which is available to youngsters today.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by shents View Post
    I've managed to do it by copying and pasting the image as a JPG, and then using something called a clipping path to get rid of the background in Indesign.
    I wonder if you could put me out of my misery and let me know if saving the image as a PNG would have worked too? I don't have InDesign, so I cannot test this (well maybe I do have it, but my CS3 disks tend to have a life of their own and I think they are holidaying at the back of a filing cabinet somewhere)
    IP

Thanks for latest suggestions - I looked at the canvas size and realised I could increase the image size too, which I did - to a whopping 181MB!

When I place this PS image into ID it works fine. The ID document is only an A4 size - its all going over my head really - but I think we're on the right lines with canvas/image sizes etc - I'll have a better look at it when I get a chance - the important thing is that I've done my poster now and I'm happy with it!

PS LOVE Oor Wullie and the Broons - still often read all the annuals - and big fan of Dudley D Watkins - superb artist. Glad you like him too!
    IP